Wednesday, October 11, 2006

tacos, nuggets, and stuff..

heJeez I would love to post every day.... Really I would, funny thing is I just don't have the time.
Anyway here we go with some of this weeks vegan goodness, kid friendly, dinners !


My hubby has no vegan cooking confidence, but bless his heart he does try to help alleviate some of my cooking duties now and again. (thanks honey!) And, well everyone loves tacos! This time instead of frying he thought he would try something new. First spraying the corn tortilla filling w/ beans and veganrella for the girls, cheddar for the boys and then baking them. It worked pretty good except where the tortillas touched the baking pan, it got a bit soggy there. But, I didn't hear any complaints and there where no left overs.

Yup, seitan nuggets this time I tried changing the recipe using 1/4 cup flour + 1/2 cup cornstarch. Its hard to say if 1) my oil wasn't hot enough or 2) the flour absorbed more oil then cornstarch. These where a tad to greasy for me. But, again no leftovers and no complaints. When I make them again I will probably go back to the 3/4 cup cornstarch. Next to those nuggets are some smashed potatoes. I try to use 1/2 sweet potatoes and 1/2 regular potatoes. I have noticed that when I do that I really don' t have to use much earth balance at all. (who am I kidding though isn't that like ordering a hot fudge sunday w/ a diet coke? being as I fried the nuggets and all). The story behind this dinner. I had bought this pasta from the bulk bin at the store for one of Eli's Kindergarten homework projects and for some reason Emma became obsessed about eating those noodles, oh they where her favorite .. "remember mom I had them once?" "Can we please have them tonight?" So this is what I came up w/ it is from the cookbook Simply Vegan and is very reminiscent of what my mom used to make and call goulash, only Mom use to put slices of Kraft cheese to melt over the top. Very simple, very kid friendly its basically some tomato juice w/ chili powder and a can of kidney beans and some corn.. and OH, must not forget those magic noodles. The recipe calls for elbow macaroni.
Miss Melissa asked about the bbq tempeh - I steam it for about 20 mins, while its steaming I make a bbq from a recipe in the Vegan World Fusion Cuisine (a really beautiful, chalk full of good recipes kinda of book) let it marinate for what ever, 15 min - hour. And then my honey the grill master grills it up. It doesn't take long maybe five minutes a side. OH MY IT IS THE BEST!!!!! it made my top five list!
Miss aTxVegn asked about breaded tofu.. nope, no eggs needed I do press the tofu and then it is coated in 1 tablespoon of olive oil then dredged in the rest. You can find the recipe in the vegetarian family cookbook pg. 144 ( I just saw your reference to the book! yea!)
I don't feel quite comfortable about posting recipes from cook books.. It some how feels different posting it on the Internet then say just sharing w/ a friend. What is the etiquette? I have posted links when they are available. But, in the end I guess I would rather support those vegan authors and encourage others to just buy their books!
Okay, the little kids and I will be away this weekend to my grandmothers (the little one's great Granny's) 80th birthday party in lovely Ketchikan, Alaska. I do look forward to seeing my family.. but, I have a feeling that I will be eating lots of green salads and bread.. I wish I was more prepared. I did make some of Dreena's home style chocolate chip cookies to take with us. Priorities people! My granny is famous for buying a ton of store bought sweets not of which are not vegan, and none of which Emma can eat (she is allergic to dairy). I will return again next week..

9 Comments:

At 7:29 PM, Blogger seattlegal said...

bbq sauce from vegan world fusion is awesome! it even rivals candle cafe's! Love the taco idea, too.

 
At 3:07 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thank you for sharing your secret with me :)
I'll have to see if I can find that book.

 
At 4:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow great food, i love your blog becouse you always give me a nice idea to try with my little daughther!

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger laura k said...

Great food! I want to try those seitan nuggets sometime. The tacos look delicious!

 
At 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you use some special device to bake the tortilla shells into that shape? I've tried rig something up, but I couldn't make it work.

I also feel weird about posting published recipes on my blog. I don't mind sharing them by email to a few people, but I feel bad posting them for all to see. I figured the recipe developer worked hard at creating it, and I should republish it without concent.

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Candi said...

Oh, those tacos looks great!! I can see why there were no complaints or leftovers!!

I agree with the sweet potatoes mixed with regular potaotes...it's so creamy and you need less "butter" and no milk! We love that combo!

Dreena's cookies are priority! I agree!! Lol! I hope you all have fun and enjoy the 80th birthday party!!!

I don't post published recipes either. It's not fair to the author. I do reference web based free recipes though that everyone has access to.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger bazu said...

You're right- who doesn't love tacos? We have that at least once a week. And I'm with your daughter- that pasta looks great!

 
At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Megan wondering about how you baked the tortilla shells. I've been trying to determine what in the world you used to bake them in and can't figure it out.

I tried to make a batch of seitan last week because I really wanted to try your nuggets and I made 3 batches, thinking I would freeze leftovers. None of them turned out. I have no idea what I did wrong. Seems to me like I did everything the same but who knows. They were like sogy bread. So sad. I'm going to try again this weekend.

 
At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute pic of your hubby and son by the way! The look so much alike.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home