Wednesday, September 13, 2006

black bean soup and french toast..not together though.. silly

Yesterday I pressure cooked some black beans. Well, long story short I forgot them in the pot after releasing the pressure and well, they got over cooked. So what do you do w/ over cooked black beans you make this kid friendly and favorite Vegan Black Bean Soup! Be warned this recipe makes heck of a lot! Which is good.. means left overs tonight! yea! I like to add to mine some chipotle hot sauce, extra cilantro and a a dab of vegan sour cream ! I bet a sweet potato would be an awesome addition as well. We have tried many different black bean soups, this one is the kids fave.
Okay.. soo Monday night we had to go to Eli's kindergarten open house. Part of the festivities was a pot luck.. And well, I was not prepared w/ our own little meal soo I kinda bribed the kids to come home early and we would have "french toast" and "sausage". The kids always seem to be tickled by having a breakfast for dinner. I veganized this recipe before we were trying to go vegan, out of necessity because Emma had been diagnosed to be allergic to dairy.. I had found two different recipes that I combined w/ fabulous results..

Julees french toast
3/4 cup blanched then skinned almonds
1/4 cup soy creamer
3/4 cup soy milk
3 tsp. maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 banana
I put in all in a blender and blend until smooth.. dip bread in mixture and I am betting you know the rest.. fry until golden brown.

We topped ours w/ earth balance and Vive le vegans blueberry maple syrup.. (thank you very much for the idea Vicki)

12 Comments:

At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I looooove black bean soup and yours looks delicious! (so does the french toast!)

A pressure cooker is on my Xmas Wish List... I would love to cook my own beans that fast!

 
At 6:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Potlucks are always hard for vegans. Way to get out of it! I don't eat many breakfast foods, because they always seem so rich and indulgent in the morning. But, you know, having them for dinner (or maybe dessert) sounds like a mighty fine idea.

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger funwithyourfood said...

I've really been craving black beans but have had NO time to cook lately. i just picked up some black bean soup from Trader Joes. it'll hold me over until i can make something myself

teddy

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger KleoPatra said...

Love the French toast w/that blueberryific maple mix. MMMMMMMMMMM!

The black bean soup also must have been wonderful. I would love to be able to do this someday...

 
At 5:17 AM, Blogger Harmonia said...

Lukas. It's the 2nd post of today! Swing by and see my "not together silly" post. lol

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Eat Peace Please said...

This all looks great. I love how much cilantro you put on top of the soup. I really like the french toast. Funny, you bribed them!

 
At 7:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, not a good time to stop by, this looks delicious and Im starving LOL.....Supper is on the way but I don't think it will be this yummy tonight!

Well done.I am adding you to my veggie roll now!!!

Huggs, G

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Candi said...

I love your photos!! So colorful and they all make me hungry. Lol!

The black bean soup idea was a great use of those beans! The soup looks really good.

Oooh! French toast! I agree with Crystal that although morning would not be the best time for me to eat that...dinner or dessert time is perfect!! :P Looks gorgeous!!!

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

your french toast recipe looks great! and i'm so glad you liked dreena's blueberry maple syrup -- whata treat. and i must add that your black bean soup is so terrific looking! my kids are the same way about breakfast for dinner -- it's like we're getting away with something!!

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger MeloMeals said...

Your soup looks great! I love cilantro and black beans.

Your french toast looks out of this world too.

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger Virginie said...

Since I'm vegan, I've never eaten what we call "Pains perdus", a family recipe made with eggs. Your recipe inspires me very much. A travel to Alaska to revisit this french recipe... Thank you very much.
I think I'll make a post about vegan pregnancy & children. Can I take one of your beautiful photos of your children, adding the link to you blog of course ?

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger love-up-you said...

Diamantentrauringe sind immer sehr beliebt bei thomas szabo den Paaren. Und der Grund seiner Popularität ist seine Eleganz und natürlicher Schönheit. Aber thomas sabo uhr vor Kauf Ihres Diamantring Sie müssen bedenken, die 4C von Diamant, Schnitt, Farbe, Karat thomas sabo ohrringe seestern und Klarheit. Es ist sehr wichtig, das Wissen dieser 4C haben. Aber der wichtigste Faktor unter ihnen ist der Schnitt eines thomas sabo anhänger Diamanten. Cut von Diamant bezieht sich nur auf die Qualität der Diamanten und auch seine Form.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home