Friday, September 08, 2006

One big success + well, one not so big.....Okay soo MY KIDS ATE TOFU!! not creamed, not hidden but, in plain sight! those little cubed things are baked "chicken nuggets" and they were a BIG hit! (insert happy mom dance here... ohhh you know the one! the one w/ the silly arm movements--too the tune of its your birthday ahh huh...). Straight from the Vegetarian Family Cookbook pg 144 . Okay so, I didn't tell them it was tofu.. When they asked what's for dinner, I told them that I was making "chicken nuggets", but I was using a different recipe than I did before (frying seitan). They bought it. They both are pretty cute using the exaggerated quote hand movements when mom makes "chicken"..ha ha.. along side our "chicken nuggets" is some baked mac & "cheese" - yummo!

"cheese" sauce
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup nutitional yeast
1 tsp salt & garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
2 cups water
1 tsp prepared mustard
2 tbs. earth balance
Combine dry ingredients and water and heat until bubbling and thick. remove from heat add mustard and earth balance.
This makes a lot.. i probably used half for 4 servings of noodles.
For the baked mac I added some home made bread crumbs from some left over home made bread in the freezer. Just toasted it and put in in the food processor w/ a bit of olive oil and simply organics all purpose seasoning. I baked it along w/ the "chicken nuggets". This will definintly become a regular item! ha!



Okay, now for my not so good dish.. again I will spare you the photo and give ya a cute one of Eli eating it.. Okay, so all of the ingredients look good but, for some reason it was just no one's favorite and I can't say we will be trying it again.. anyhoo.. It came from the Vegetarian family favorites Pg. 186, The black beans w/ potatoes and tortillas. I guess ya win some, and you lose some occasionally.. huh?

sooo. I must ask - do ya all really go back to read the comments when you ask questions? I've noticed some of you comment on a lot of blogs.. How do you ever keep track?

Vicky asked about which Bryanna cookbook I would recommend..
I have three: The Twenty Minutes to Dinner, Nonna's Italian Kitchen, and Authentic Chinese Cuisine. I haven't tried Nonna's but, I must say, the Authentic Chinese Cuisine has me captivated, as it has new ways to make "meat" substitutes... stuff you will not find in any other cookbook. And the recipe we tried was fabulous!!! I really can't wait to try more. The 20 min. to Dinner cookbook is good, but there are a lot of recipes more for adult taste than my little ones are ready for. But, Emma would say the "hot dog soup" was worth the price of the book alone! But, really there is SOOOO much to learn from every one of her cookbooks.. She is amazing! All of her books include a heck of a lot of tips, tricks and substitutions! They truly are the most informative Vegan cook books!

There were lot's-o-comments on the Vegan family Favorites.. I don't think I would rush out and buy it (sorry Melody .. I haven't tried your recipes in the book.... yet) There are a lot of obvious recipes in it and that's what made me think I should send it back initially. But, I didn't, and please don't get me wrong as I have only tried one of it's many recipes.. soooo... stay tuned for more! I think it would be ideal for beginners or those transitioning to the veggie world...

11 Comments:

At 6:55 PM, Blogger KleoPatra said...

CONGRATs on the tofu eating. This is a big big day! The nuggs look stupendous and the "cheez" sauce superb.

Eli is so cute. How photogenic is that kid!?!?

 
At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When people ask me questions on my blog, I usually answer them on their blogs (not mine). If I ask a question on someone else's blog and they don't answer back on mine, I will go back and read their response. Sometimes I forget though and will remember a few days later. It's difficult keeping track of everyone. We should come up with a uniform way to comment/question...

 
At 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your kids are just so darn cute!!!

I try to remember to go back and see if someone's responded, but usually I forget, or forget which post I left a comment on. I'm with Vivacious... we should come up with a system :)

 
At 3:39 AM, Blogger Dori said...

I vary on the answering questions thing. If someone asks I usually respomd in the comments on my blog if it pertains to somthing I've posted. If it is something just for them, I'll go to their blog to answer.

Hooray on the tofu thing. Prepared in the way you did it is the first way my family would eat it also.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger funwithyourfood said...

YAAAYY
i knew it was possible :)

Teddy

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger MeloMeals said...

Yay for kids and tofu!

.. and mac and cheez

Pretty soon they'll be eating it in everything..

About questions.. I usually answer them in their blogs.. but if several people ask the same question.. (usually they request a recipe) I usually will include it in the next post.

I have to give you my alfredo recipe.. it's soo good and no one would ever guess it's tofu.

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Candi said...

YAY! They ate (and liked!) the tofu! Great job!! it looks delicious!

Eli is totally adorable!

I want that mac and cheese right now! Lol! Thanks for the sauce recipe! I will definitely be using that.

I, like most people here, tend to answer blog questions on 'their' blog. If I ask, I totally forget where I asked, so don't always get my answers unless they come to my blog. It's tough, and I think Crystal is right, we need a Q&A system! :)

Thanks for the recipe again, and congrats on your tofu success!!!

 
At 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for your thoughts on the cookbooks. I looked at vegan family favourites this weekend and came to the same conclusion as you...it have a lot of obvious recipes it in. So, I decided not to buy it.

Congrats on getting your kids to eat tofu! that's no small feat!

 
At 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i understand your happinnes, when my little girl love some food that is good for her, i feel the same!


good photos!

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

You got your kids to eat tofu? wow! i'd say more, but i'm speachless! thanks for the cookbook tips - i'd like to find the authentic chinese based on what you say - i appreciate the tip. and i have the vegan family cookbook -- i agree on the basicness of it...

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger love-up-you said...

Diamantentrauringe sind immer sehr beliebt bei thomas szabo den Paaren. Und der Grund seiner Popularität ist seine Eleganz und natürlicher Schönheit. Aber thomas sabo uhr vor Kauf Ihres Diamantring Sie müssen bedenken, die 4C von Diamant, Schnitt, Farbe, Karat thomas sabo ohrringe seestern und Klarheit. Es ist sehr wichtig, das Wissen dieser 4C haben. Aber der wichtigste Faktor unter ihnen ist der Schnitt eines thomas sabo anhänger Diamanten. Cut von Diamant bezieht sich nur auf die Qualität der Diamanten und auch seine Form.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home