Sunday, September 24, 2006

simple meals..

Thanks you all for all of your well wishes! I am so much better now!
Okay so I would have really loved to call in sick and stay in bed all day, but lunches need to be made, kids need rides and well, there are those pesky dinners as well.. What does a Mom w/ a miserable cold cook for dinner?? Well, the first day when my cold was at its worst I made the "mums bean and cheese " casserole from How it all Vegan. My brain was foggy though and my bean to potato ratio was a bit off. I tried the Veganrella Cheddar cheese for the first time (in the casserole). Emma and I both thought it was ehh.. alright but, we both prefer the Veganrella mozzarella way better. I threw on the left over carrot oat patties for good measure.

Miso soup w/ bean thread noodles, mushrooms carrots and the ever important green onions..

Okay this is another very simple dish that we all love! And I do make it often. Split pea soup w/ sweet potato and Mexican seasonings. It's from the complete vegan cookbook . I do usually make bread or biscuits or something but, that night I just didn't have in me so we had toast.


By this dinner I am feeling WAY better, but Daddy left for a work trip to the big city of Anchorage. So I didn't feel the need for a big dinner production. Again w/ the baked tofu nuggets. Come on people they are just to easy and good! The rest is a hodge podge of sorts of butternut squash "crunchy" broccoli and more toast.

The kids had worked really hard on making our Sammy a bed of sorts by very methodically spreading out the newspaper all over the living room. They were a bit disappointed that he didn't like his new bed until they made it way more comfy by adding his favorite blanket. Sammy loved it after that.

17 Comments:

At 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that soup you describe sounds great. Sweet potatos, lentils, mexican seasonings...I'm drooling. I'll have to try something like that...I don't have that cookbook, but that just makes trying to create something similar a fun challenge~

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger MeloMeals said...

Sammy is huge!

 
At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am totally making this soup tomorrow. It looks incredible. I just so happen to have all the ingredients. I picked up my bulk buying club order last week and it included 25 pounds of split peas and 25 pounds of red lentils so I'll be cooking with a lot of peas and lentils!

Sammy looks so cute with your kids.

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger funwithyourfood said...

well that's a LOT of food. All great i'm sure. I'm glad the puppy has a hand made bed now

teddy

 
At 1:52 AM, Blogger KariDyan said...

that soup sounds DIVINE!MMMMMMMM!

 
At 5:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's good news that your feeling better!!! The miso soup looks great, and chock full of scallions and mushrooms. Mmmmmm. All the food looks tasty. That's such a sweet picture of your kids with the dog :)

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger laura k said...

I'm sorry you've been sick... You've been busy in the kitchen for a sick mom! That miso soup looks absolutely incredible. Sammy is a very pretty dog...

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger laura k said...

Okay, so... I just called Sammy a dog, when I TOTALLY knew she was a cat! Oops...

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger KleoPatra said...

Love the photo of the kids and the cat there. Sammy is like a dog in size, unreal!

Love the food, too. It all looks yummmmmmmmmmy.

I'm very glad you are feeling better. Get back to 100 percent soon, i hope!

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

ahhh, sammy & the kids are so adorable! glad you're feeling better, and it looks like your food didn't miss a beat! :o)

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger Candi said...

I'm so glad you are better! And look at you whizzing all around the kitchen again in no time! Lol!

Everything looks great, and it's funny how I have all these recipe books, but must have overlooked these great dinners you've made! The beans and potato one makes me want to run downstairs and start cooking it right now! (too bad it's 1 in the monring. Lol!)

Baked tofu nuggets are a hit! I'm glad the kids love them!

That photo of the kids with Sammy is so sweet. Look at all their efforts to make Sammy comfy! It finally paid off, and that is TOO sweet. You have very sweet kids and they are really lucky to have you as a great role model for them!

 
At 2:43 AM, Blogger urban vegan said...

those soups look like just the thing to cure any ills.

Kids and Sammy are toooo cute.

 
At 4:26 AM, Blogger Virginie said...

Sammy won't get a cold with his new hot bed...
I've sent you a "meme" : 5 foods before to die.
See you.

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger aTxVegn said...

I just love your blog! What a beautiful (large!) family you have. All your food looks wonderful. It's great that such a busy mom feeds her family so well. Oh, I'm with Eli on the broccoli - no need to mess with perfection.

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Ruthie said...

Can I just say that I love your blog? Your kids are so precious. My husband and I are pre-kid, and whenever I read your blog I say "RUSSELL LOOK AT THE CUUUUUUUUTE VEGGIE KIDS!!!" I think he's more annoyed than he is when I showed him that crawlie video on knockedupvegan's blog! LOL

Anyway, I wanted to tell you that the mac and cheese recipe you posted awhile ago is so incredibly delicious that my husband and I have been eating pasta-peas-and-cheeze like twice a week because of it. Thank you!!!

Ruthie

 
At 5:31 AM, Blogger Danielle D. said...

What kind of bread is that in the background?

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger love-up-you said...

Diamantentrauringe sind immer sehr beliebt bei thomas szabo den Paaren. Und der Grund seiner Popularität ist seine Eleganz und natürlicher Schönheit. Aber thomas sabo uhr vor Kauf Ihres Diamantring Sie müssen bedenken, die 4C von Diamant, Schnitt, Farbe, Karat thomas sabo ohrringe seestern und Klarheit. Es ist sehr wichtig, das Wissen dieser 4C haben. Aber der wichtigste Faktor unter ihnen ist der Schnitt eines thomas sabo anhänger Diamanten. Cut von Diamant bezieht sich nur auf die Qualität der Diamanten und auch seine Form.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home