Sunday, December 03, 2006

table for one

Well, it has been quite a week. Our family was hit by one evil bug. A stomach flu from hell- not the 24 hour kind - no, it is still lingering (the worst is over but, nobody but me has an appetite yet). At least we are all over the hump and nibbling. Nothing very interesting, mostly toast and bland stuff. Anyways, I was the first one to regain my appetite and made some simple udon noodle soup w/ Asian baked tofu from 125 Best Vegan Recipes. This is what I have been living on while I wait for my family to catch up w/ me.

Now, this I made quite a while ago before Thanksgiving. These Sunshine burgers are the absolute best thing ever! If you haven't tried them- do so now! I warn you they are spendy! At least in our neck of the woods. 3 for $4.59. But, worth every penny! Along side I have some spicy yams. I combined two different baked yam fries recipes I found on the internet and the results where great! But, after I tried one I thought they would be too spicy for the kids so, I added some apple slices to their plate along w/ a few fries... But, they both loved the spicy fries, it was the first thing they ate and they ate them all gone..
Spicy yam fries.
Pre heat oven @ 425
Coat yams in a couple of table spoons olive oil
in a bag (I use an old bread bag) add
1 tbl flour
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp salt.
add yams and shake to coat
Bake for 30- 40 min.
I made this right before we all got sick... I think I got this box of soy chiken on a trip to Seattle, I don't really remember. Anyways I thought I would give it a try. YUK! Not even edible! I can't even describe it. There is a recipe on the box that suggest breading and frying- but, honestly I don't think even that would help much. Has anybody else tried this? Along side is broccoli, tomato and baked potato w/ my family's favorite "cheese" sauce.
Anyways..I have been checking in on all my fav. blogs but, time hasn't allowed me to really comment. I am hoping life will be back to normal next week. I hope ya all have a great week!

20 Comments:

At 5:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for posting that yam recipe. I've never eaten them, or sweet potatoes for that matter. My husband keeps asking me why we have never done so. The answer is a simple "don't know", have tried pretty much everything else under the sun. So, I'm headed to the store in the next few days, buying some yams, and trying this out.

 
At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ugh..isn't it the worst when sickness travels though thewhole faimly! sorry to hear you've been it. Hopefully it'll only happen once this winter.

I love the little baby corn in your soup. I forgot just how much I love that sweet looking corn.

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger funwithyourfood said...

awww hope everyone feels better!

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Candi said...

I hope you all are feeling better!

I think the noodle soup looks good. Especially to help you get over the nasty bug you all got!

The yam slices look great! I had chili fries one time and figured Britty wouldn't like them because of the spice...but just like your kids, she loved them! Surprising, huh?

I've never seen that soy chicken stuff. It *that* it in your dish?! I'll be sure not to buy it! Lol!

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger aTxVegn said...

So sorry you've all been so sick! That soup looks very nourishing and comforting.

We love the Sunshine burgers too, even at more than $1 apiece! The spicy fries look great - thanks for the recipe. We eat tons of sweet potatos these days!

I've never seen the chicken stuff. Thanks for the warning though.

Take care!

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Nikk said...

I really need to try those burgers!

Hope the tummies in your family get better.

 
At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry your family's been sick. I hope they feel better soon.

 
At 7:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

im very sorry for the sickness you family have ! i have some kind of virus like that past year as was so bad, i dont wish to remember!

the food looks truly good, thanks for the photos!

 
At 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your evil bug! I hope everyone is over it soon. Your yam recipe sounds delicious! Leslie over at eatpeaceplease has blogged about the sunshine burgers before. I really must pick them up the next time I"m in town. But seriously? 3? Who packages things in odd numbers??? Grrr. Too bad about the soy chickn.

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger laura k said...

Ohh.. I hope you ALL feel better very soon! Stomach bugs are just awful, especially when they hit everyone.

Thanks for the yam recipe--that looks like a wonderful blend of seasonings for roasting yam slices!

Sorry your soy chicken experience was not good. It happens, I guess.

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger bazu said...

Oh, feel better soon! It's much harder when the whole family is trading an illness back and forth!

That soup looks so good. We've been on an Asian kick here this week. I could really go for that.

And thanks for the chicken warning- yikes

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger urban vegan said...

Hope you're all feeling better now. Stomach flus are no fun.

I've seen those sunshine burgersin the store, but haven't tried them yet. Now I'll have to!

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

Too bad about the stomach bug you all have. Argh. I had something like that a few years ago and just when you thought you should be getting better, it was getting worse.

I'll have to try those sunshine burgers someday as I've heard so many good things!

-Crystal

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Dori said...

Yams and burgers... mmmm, sounds good to me. Hope everyone is feeing better soon. M got bronchitis and has a cold bug , sore throat and coughy has been going around. sniffle sniffle.

 
At 4:01 AM, Blogger JENNA said...

I hope you all feel better real soon!

I've never seen those burgers but will look for them the next time I go shopping.

JENNA

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Kati said...

Yes, those Sunshine Burgers are one of my favorite pre-made goodies! They're perfect when you're short on time (or just feeling lazy), and unlike a lot of other frozen foods, they're actually good for you. I agree with VV, though - how weird is it that they pack them in 3's??

P.S. Hope you all are feeling better by now!

 
At 1:36 AM, Blogger KariDyan said...

are you feeling any better yet?

Happy new year!

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Dori said...

I stopped by to say Happy New Year and hope your holiday went well.... no more sickness. We are recovered form the yucks in time for family gatherings. Looking forward to the New Year when there are less sweets and rich foods around food blogland.

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger bazu said...

just stopped by again to say 'happy new year'!! I hope you and your family had a great holiday and hope to hear back from you soon.

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Candi said...

Happy New Year!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home