Wednesday, November 08, 2006

a few of our vegan family favorites

Another Yummy repeat- General Tao's Seitan
Nope its not baby food.. This one of my all time favorite soups! It comes from the cookbook Vegan Vittles, Cheddary cheeze soup. I usually make it w/ the broccoli this time I made it w/ cauliflower. Basically it uses silken tofu and nutritional yeast flakes as the cheeze base. I am totally addicted to the nutritional flakes (does anybody else out there have this "problem"?). We call them cheezy flakes in our house, Emma and I often have cheezy flakes on toast or bagels in the morning. Oops, I digress- back to the soup....I have to puree it all for my children's sake-they prefer their veggies raw. Neither like cooked carrots, one doesn't like visible onions the other one doesn't like cooked cauliflower. They both prefer this soup over the kind I make w/ broccoli. I also made a whole wheat beer bread - I often substitute the all purpose flour with a combination of spelt and almond meal- it always works out great. I have also used different kind of beers w/ great results. It seems the lighter beers give it a more of a sourdough kind of taste, I however prefer to drink darker beers and those work fine. It is a very forgiving recipe.
Yep, more enchiladas.

15 Comments:

At 5:57 PM, Blogger urban vegan said...

I also have the same YN "problem" that you do. I love Vegan Vittles. It's full of good, tasty, simple food.

Your General Tso's looks great. [Who the hell was General Tso, anyway?]

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I made the General Tao's tofu from vegweb today...coincidence! It was so yummy.

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Ruthie said...

I love Vegan Vittles too. The cover is the "look" I'm trying to go for in my kitchen. I just think I could melt in a home like that.

Anyway... I LOVE that soup. I make it often, with big chunks of broccoli. I find it divine. And bizarre. I mean, who would think of boiling onions? This is the only recipe I make in which I boil onion. :) But it works! And is soo easy!

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Ben Kaelan said...

I looove nutritional yeast! It's an awesome vegan source of B12 as well. I use to love (before I went Pagano) to make burritos with a Nutritional yeast cheese sauce, salsa and Yve's veggie ground round. My stomach is growling right now just thinking about it. It was so simple and yet so tasty.

The cheese sauce I'm talking about can be found here. You should try it sometime. It's definately one I use when I'm craving cheezy stuff.

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Candi said...

The tao's tofu/seitan looks great! i saved the recipe!

I have the same "problem" with nutritional yeast. Even Britty does too now. We are addicted!! You should see our mashed potatoes. i think we have more nutritional yeast in there than potato! It's so good!

 
At 5:22 AM, Blogger aTxVegn said...

Yes to the nutritional yeast! I don't worry about my addiction - it's cheap and full of B-12.

Your dinners look super!

 
At 5:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could put nutritional yeast on just about everything. It's so good. I've made the General Tso's (you blogged about it before) and its definitely a keeper. Yum! The soup looks great. I like the idea of using cauliflower.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger erica said...

Another vote for those with a NY problem. I make this fake parmesan with it: toasted sesame seeds whirred a little in the food processor with NY. It's so good on toast, pizza, - well, anywhere you would put parmesan. I'll admit, though, it took me a few months to get used to it :F

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Nikk said...

Hi, my name is Nikki and I'm addicted to NY. :)

I call it nooch in my house...but of course the boy always thinks I'm saying nude so he gets confused...

 
At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another Nutritional Yeast addict here! I just got the "Uncheese Cookbook" because I figured it would have lots of recipes using NY...I am so excited to look through it! But, recipe or not, NY ends up on just about everything I eat!

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

I read your response over on Vivacious Vegan's post and really admire it. You said a lot of things that I wanted to say, but had already taken up too much space!!

Thanks for the warm feelings :)

And...of course, your food pics look great!

-Crystal

 
At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yum, i will like to taste some of your food right now!

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

First off, happy birthday to your daughter! Sorry I missed that~
I recently food tastier nutritional yeast that I had had before in a new bulk bin - and I'm particularly fond of the nutritional yeast/almond/sea salt blend, especially on popcorn = SO GOOD.

 
At 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what brand of nutritional yest do you use. not so fond of mine.and do you use the flakes or the powder?

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger laura k said...

Wow, it all looks so good. I have Vegan Vittles but haven't used it that much... I should flip through it more often.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home