Saturday, October 28, 2006

Kid Food Galore

On the day I made this soup was a day full of Murphy's law. I won't go into any of the gory details but, Daddy was still gone and the kids and I weren't even heading home until 5:30. I had no ideas about what to make for dinner. So this is what I came up with. Creamy tomato soup and veganrella quesadillas. One of Emma's favorite soups, Eli on the other hand tolerates it but, definitely not one of his fav. As I was driving home, passing by one of two Mc Donalds in our town, all I could think about was some sort of healthy fast food. The fantasy went something like this...Me pulling up to the drive up window and asking for the eggless sandwich and a side of roasted veggies oh and for the kids two hummus wraps one w/ red onions both w/ a side of sweet potato fries. Can I just ask does this exist out there in what I loving refer to is the "real world"?

Bagel dogs (our fav. brand is Yves veggie dogs). The recipe came from bunnyfoots blog long ago. I was trying to make up some of my cooking disasters lately. This one was mostly for Eli. Next we have a sweet potato curry from vegan family favorites, I added some green beans and garbanzo beans.
This one was by far my favorite dinner of the week! From How it all Vegan "tofurky". I wanted to give a few "turkey" kinda of dishes a try before thanksgiving. This one was quite awesome. It calls for marinating the tofu for an hour then baking it for an hour then frying it. I ended up w/ a lot of the marinate left after I baked it so I added it all to the frying pan and it eventually reduced down. If you haven't tried it, let me just tell you should - you won't be disappointed. On the side the orange potatoes- 1/2 white potatoes 1/2 yams. The kids didn't partake in the tofu, they had some out of the box frozen bbq "riblets" instead.

10 Comments:

At 11:33 AM, Blogger bazu said...

Here here on the healthy fast food fantasy. This morning, we were running errands, the weather sucked, we got delayed, and all I could see on the street were tons of restaurants where I couldn't find one good thing on the menu. I sometimes get naughty cravings for "bad" food- so if an adult vegan can feel this way, imagine the cravings that kids have to put up with!
I'll take some of that tofurky, please!

 
At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We were out running errands this morning and tried to find something vegan which is near impossible. We have a navigation system and pulled up all the local restaurants and found something called Soy and Rice. I thought it sounded promising but when we got there it was out of business. Go figure. We wound up having the veggie delight (minus cheese) sandwich at Subway. Not great, but certainly suitable in a pinch.

I'd love to have a drive through at your kitchen window. All your food looks terrific.

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger aTxVegn said...

I know you made your kids so happy with all that yummy food! I think there are drive-thru veggie burger places in L.A. We have (or had) a drive-thru place here where you can get salad wraps. It's probably vegan, but it's 30 miles from my house! I'm glad my son is grown so I don't have to deal with your problem. I can't imagine what I would do!

You're funny to call your food "cooking disasters."

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Carrie™ said...

Oooo, I've always wondered about that tofu turkey recipe. Good to know it's worth trying. I think your soup looks fantastic. I had quesadillas tonight too. Before I looked at your blog. I swear.

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Dori said...

Canned soup has been a life saver for me lately, but your meals (even what you call weekend flops) look pretty tastey! When all else fails I go for a fast food salad and hope for a bakes potato somewhere. I like to carry protein bars with me for times when the salad and potato might be the only thing on the menu for me.

I believe we have realized before that we were the same age. You have totally started over having little ones again, but what a joy to see their smiling faces.

 
At 3:09 AM, Blogger Danielle D. said...

It all looks yummy. What do you put in your quesadillas?

 
At 5:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi - thanks for your comment! me too, i love hummus. i think i love any bean made into a dip or soup...
i'll bookmark your blog. love it.

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Kati said...

In my fantasy there are vegan diners and vegan bakeries on every corner...and in the summer there is an "ice cream" truck that delivers So Delicious (okay, maybe in the winter, too)...

When I was out in LA I went to a restaurant called "Vegan Glory," which is an all-vegan fast food joint. The food tasted good, but I don't think it was very healthy (it was a bit greasy) - of course, it's still better than McDonald's.

Thanks for stopping by my blog - I'm sure I'll be back here soon!

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger laura k said...

Closest thing I've had to that fast food fantasy is at a place called the Pita Pit. Hummus pita with all the veggies... Only problem is it's not exactly "fast."

Everything looks great! I love quesadillas.

 
At 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stonyfield Farms owner has actually started a "fast" food chain called O'Naturals. Not vegetarian, and no drive up window, but they use organic and local produce and have lots of veggie options. My 6-year-old loves getting a tofu sandwich with balsamic dressing. :-)

http://www.onaturals.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home