Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Halloween fun!

So Saturday was full of Halloween fun, Daddy was still out of town, so I was left to entertain the little ones.. The first stop was the Glacier visitor center.. It had to be the coolest Halloween party in town! It was filled with ghoulish stations that were all geared towards Alaska..
The world renown Alaskan Blood sucker- The mosquito. The skeleton station had a display of skeletons like the Alaskan bats, beavers, bears, seals and what not. Another station was about carnivorous Alaskan plants.. Each station had a game for the kids to play, for example the skeleton station was pin the skull on the skeleton.

The absolute coolest part was after getting the kids loaded back in the car a big ol black bear crossed the parking lot full of people. I did hop out of my car to try and snap a picture, but evidently I was kind of flustered, in a hurry and I didn't have time to zoom in. And well, my picture is just a black fuzzy spot far off in the distance.

Anyhoo here are the kids sporting their face paintings.. After the glacier we went to Eli's school carnival for 2 more hours of fun filled haloween fun! After all that FUN I must admit I was in NO MOOD to go home and cook so we drove down town for our world famous Cheese-less pizza.. Eli went for strait pineapple Ms. Emma's and mine had pineapple, red pepper and red onion!!! It was kinda funny, there was a new waiter who while I was ordering repeated Cheese less like 5 times, like I was out of my mind! he kept trying to confim he had heard me right..He evidently had never served a cheese less pizza and found it quite unbelievable.. (at least that was my impression) Well, at least it was served w/o cheese.. it could have been worse! We have had many send it back to the kitchen incidences because of communication break downs between us- the waitress and the cook.

Okay, Sundays dinner>>> what did I do with my extra hour? (day- lights saving time) I made seitan.. Then made some home made whole wheat hamburger buns.. I then used the seitan to make sloppy joes.. (I replaced the hamburger w/ 2 1/2 cups seitan, diced) Me oh my... It was pretty good. Not great though, the kids ate it so I really can't complain. I left out the ever important green pepper 1) because I didn't have one and 2) Eli would have never eaten it. I think that would have really made the recipe complete though. Oh Well! Oh ya, I also made Dreenas home style chocolate chip cookies so little Ms. Emma would have a treat to bring to pre-school for her Halloween party extravaganza..
This was Mr. Daddy's welcome home dinner .. YEA!!! Daddy is finally home!!
Home made hamburger buns w/ seitan sloppy joes and a fabulous garden salad. Monday was my signature spaghetti sauce w/ all the vegan fixings.. Tuesday was Halloween so we just had left over spaghetti.. Ya for leftovers!!!


Here is little Ms. Emma Halloween haul.. the left side is at least milk and egg free (she is allergic to dairy).. I did not read the labels for bug parts, gelatin or non-vegan sugar .. we are by no means purest- and I don't buy candy ever- so I can't image once a year it will hurt.

12 Comments:

At 4:54 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

I've had that happen with servers too. They look at me and say "no cheese?". I insist that its good. I don't care what they think though, as long as they bring it out right! Although I do understand how mistakes can happen in the kitchen (I am a server).
Your meals look great! I once had that fake parmesan topping, but can no longer find it anywhere. I love it tossed with spaghetti and margarine.
Thanks for the link to the hamburger buns, I can't wait to try them!

 
At 5:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adorable as ever with their cute face painting. Sounds like the Glacier visitor center really had a lot of neat things for children to do and learn about.

Oh the joys of ordering vegan... Non-vegans rarely understand the cheeseless pizza. It's really pretty good though and certainly feels a heck of a lot healthier.

Emma got quite a bit of edible halloween loot. I too was surprised when I went to buy candy how much of it was actually vegan.

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Eat Peace Please said...

All your food looks great. I have had the no-cheese pizza returned because it had cheese. It seems like people think parmesean is not a cheese as long as it's not coated on the pizza. Anyway, everything here looks great especially that welcome-home meal. Your children are adorable!

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger erica said...

Your kids are just adorable, I can't get over it.

 
At 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your kids are so cute, and your food looks (and sounds) amazing! What seitan recipe do you use, by the way? I have been looking for a good one!

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger aTxVegn said...

Looks like you had a great Halloween for the kids. I agree with you - let them have their candy fun once a year.

Your spaghetti and sloppy joes look great! I've never made seitan - is it fun? I would love to make a big ol' batch for my son.

 
At 2:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had to send back pizzas too. It's a hassle.

Sounds like you had a great weekend with lots of good food,

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Valentina said...

there's so much more vegan stuff in the US than in Europe.. i'm so jealous. i might move to your country!

the pictures are so nice as usual and the kids adorable!

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Ben Kaelan said...

haha I was looking at your blog at work and I got caught looking at non-work related websites and got in trouble hehehe...

but it was worth it to see all the cute halloween pictures! I love halloween! Love to see the kids enjoy it even more:)

Thanks for sharing those awesome pics :)

- Ben

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger laura k said...

I have not ordered pizza out since going vegan, but I can totally imagine the funny looks! Now, since eating cheeseless pizza, the other kind just seems so nasty to me!

Cute face paintings! I wish I wasn't too old for that sometimes...

Homemade whole wheat buns--I'll have to give that a try!

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

Whewww, you have LOTS of energy to keep up with all that! LOL :o) and looks like somebody scored some cool stickers. love the face paints.

 
At 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great Halloween. Your kids are so cute!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home