Saturday, November 11, 2006

our vegan dinners

BBQ seitan w/ homemade bbq sauce from the Vegan World Fusion Cuisine cookbook. I was really trying to come up w/ another way for us to eat seitan w/ out frying it. This worked out really well. First I marinated the seitan in the bbq sauce for about an hour and baked it @375 for about 30-40 minutes. Corn bread from the Cookin Southern Vegetarian style cookbook. Along side are smashed sweet potato's and green beans. Rice noodles w/ eggs broccoli and dark sweet soy sauce from the cookbook Real Vegetarian Thai. Instead of eggs I used some of Bryanna's Curried "chicken" from her cook book Authentic Chinese cuisine that I had in the freezer. I also used the "chicken" to fill the won ton wrappers (baked, not fried).

I found this Celebration loaf in the store and knew the kids and I would be home late and wanted to try some new fast food. The label reads "premium vegan grain meat stuffed w/ butternut squash, apples and mushroom" I couldn't get a picture of the label but, you can check it out here at their web site. What intrigued me most was that it is not a soy based fast food, rather wheat gluten. And the verdict? Well, when I got home and looked at the label a little closer it is rather high in fat. The kids had mixed feelings about it, the first few bites they really liked, but in the end they didn't eat it all. I thought it was okay, and would make a really good sandwich. But, like most pre-made packaged foods it rather spendy(well, over $6.00).

13 Comments:

At 12:22 PM, Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

all your alaska food looks awesome! great idea on the seitan - i'm going to try that next time instead of frying. yeaah for 17! looks like a happy birthday. :o)

 
At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone else blogged about bbq seitan "ribs" (gosh, it makes me cringe just thinking about someone really eating ribs). Anyway, I've really been craving them so I'll probably give these a try soon.

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger urban vegan said...

That BBQ seitan looks amazing. And so does everything. You guys eat well!

I saw a segment on TV today about Sitka, Alaska, where my cousin lives. It looks so beautiful. I have to come up and visit him soon.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Candi said...

I'm so hungry now after seeing these photos of foods that are favorites of mine!! :P I love how you are not frying, but baking most foods! I have to try that. I tend to fry everything still, even though I know I shouldn't!!

The Field Roast looks good. I'm not sure how I feel about the fake meats. I always think the first bite is great, then a few bites later I get sick of it. :( I like the idea of the squash in it though!!

 
At 5:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

man...I wish I lived in your house. All the food you cook is the stuff I love to eat.

megan the vegan

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Ruthie said...

As always, beautiful! Your photography is top-notch. :)

I have a funny story for you. I was chatting with my friend at home in Texas and told her I couldn't believe the sun was setting at 5pm here. She said "Well gosh, you are living in Montana, that's like, next to Alaska!"

I couldn't believe it! :) I wanted to say, yeah, just like Texas is close to Panama! :) But I did think of you immediately. Now whenever I think of Alaska I think of 1.) Your beautiful blog and how you took your kids to see A GLACIER and then 2.) The movie Insomnia *shudder* :)

Peace!

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger bazu said...

I love peeking at the food your family eats- everything always looks really hearty and crave-worthy. And I love hearing the verdicts given by the kids! Great stuff.

 
At 5:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the fod and thanks for the tip!

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

Love the BBQ seitan idea - I'll have to use that one someday soon.

-Crystal

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Nikk said...

I want some 'ribs' now! :)

Hmmm...I might just get some riblets because I'm far too afraid to make the seitan ones...

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger aTxVegn said...

Wow, everything looks so wonderful! Do you like the World Fusion and Thai cookbooks? I read your comment about Thai and lots of eggs, which seems odd to me for some reason. Not that I need another cookbook, but just in case...

Prepackaged food is crazy expensive! Sometimes I think it would be so easy to buy already baked tofu, etc., but I just can't bring myself to pay so much for it.

 
At 5:30 AM, Blogger laura k said...

BBQ seitan--wow, that looks incredible.

 
At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Bröst said...

The BBQ seitan looks good. Nice blogs with "everyday food", that is what I was looking for.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home