Friday, October 20, 2006

good times

We're home again. We had a great time visiting w/ my family. Let me just say there was no vegan love in Ketchikan even the salad and my Granny's 80th birthday party had shrimp in it. Oh well. Fun was had by all.. Exhibit A- My brother- aka Uncle Rick showing Eli wearing a tie ain't all bad...On with the food....So here we have the black bean and sweet potato chili from the Vegetarian family cookbook. Little Eli had requested that one night we make herbs chili again, from Cooking with Herb the Vegetarian Dragon cook book. Well, the kids didn't really like it the first time we made it. I think they just liked making it. Herbs calls for tvp which the kids haven't quite taken too (YET). So, I suggested we make this chili and from the Herb book we also made Flora's crispy polenta and cut them into stars and hearts w/ a cookie cutter. Well, this time the chili was a hit! You really can't go wrong w/ sweet potatoes and black beans. And hey look after MUCH practice both kids can peel potatoes! My little helpers.
Next is Vanessa's Lentil-Quinoa stew from La Dolce Vegan. Good, simple and quick to prepare. Really hits the spot on a chilly fall day. Paired w/ what we call crunchy broccoli at our house (raw) and some organic wheat u-bake dinner rolls I found at Costco (quite a deal I might add-12 rolls for .97 cents)
So Daddy is going away on a business trip again. So last night had our vegan comfort food send off dinner. Evidently I have become addicted to frying. I have not fried anything in over 20 years, since the fried chicken incidence of '85 when my brother and I tried frying chicken for the first time - the oil was way too hot- in shorts -you get the idea. And now I guess I am just making up for lost time. (Sounds like a guilty confessional doesn't it?) Anyway using some seitan from the freezer (I use vegan w/ a vengeance seitan recipe and add 1tsp each Rosemary, thyme, sage and 1/4 tsp each cumin and garlic powder) Then used this "chicken" fried recipe. Which by the way makes WAY to much of the dry ingredients, I only used half. Gravy comes Vegan Vittles- golden gravy. And well, EVERYBODY loved dinner! Again, what's not to love? Daddy also got a tub of Dreena's creamy hummus (his all time favorite hummus) to take on the plane w/ carrots and bread. As well as Vegan w/ a Vengeance Lemon Gems cupecakes - what a lucky boy.



13 Comments:

At 9:19 AM, Blogger aTxVegn said...

Welcome back and so glad you had a good visit with family. What adorable children!

I LOVE sweet potato and black bean chili. Yours looks so enticing with polenta cutouts. And your send-off dinner - I know hubby left happy!

I have a self-contained deep fryer (because I'm awful at pan frying) and I'm like you - if I drag that thing out, by gosh I'm frying everything in sight! I really don't like having that "fried" smell in the house though. Well, unless it's fried apple pies.....

Thanks for the great pics!

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger erica said...

Hi there-
I really enjoy your blog, probably because I can't wait to have kids of my own to put to work peelin'!

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger laura k said...

That all just looks so good! You're incredible!

I'm glad you had a good visit, even if there was no vegan love...

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger urban vegan said...

My cousins from Alaska are here visiting now. They think it's warm here. And I'm freezing. Your chili and stew are warming me up.

 
At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I've been enjoying reading your posts.

it's hard when there's nothing remotely vegan to eat - I've been to potlucks where even the potatoes have meat in them. Definitely no love for the veg people.

Great comfort vegan food there...yum!

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger funwithyourfood said...

hellooo
I'm digging your little helpers :)

and their ties are cute

teddy

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger bazu said...

What cute pictures of the kids and family!
I completely feel your pain about non-veg-friendly situations. I've been to so many buffets where there was not ONE veg. option- and I'm a pretty flexible eater!
Your food looks awesome, however.

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Candi said...

LOL! Your brother's tie looks so funny! Maybe Eli needs to show him how to do it right! lol! Eli looks so handsome in his outfit!

ANYTHING with sweet potatoes is a hit in our house! :) That chili looks great, and the shaped polenta is TOO cute!

Awww! your helpers are adorable peeling potatoes in their halloween shirts!!


Your "send-off" dinner is so perfect! What's not to love about that?! How sweet to send your hubby off with hummus, and lemon gems!! :P

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Cute pics! And you have such warming food on the menu!

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Nikk said...

I swear, you have the most photogenic kids in the world! :) All the food looks great...it's also nice to see that they like to help out!

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Kate said...

I am sorry to hear that you had so much trouble finding food, but I always say family is more important than the food they are serving you. I have never fried anything (I am kinda of a health nut) but your food looks like it came out perfect, Not too greasy and golden brown. That is great that yoour kids help you in the kitchen. They are more likely to love cooking when they get older.

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Candi said...

Hi Julee!! Thank you so much for the info on tempeh! I have never steamed it first. Do you buy it pre-made or do you make it yourself? Wow, I have no idea. Lol! I usually eat tofu or seitan. I would love to add another "main ingredient" to work with. I think I have some recipes for tempeh in Vegan with a Vengeance...I'll have to check! I usually skip over those pages since I thought tempeh was too bitter. Lol! Maybe cooking it right will help! LOL! Thanks again!!

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger seattlegal said...

YOur kids are absolutely adorable peeling veggies...they should be vegan poster children :) Had to laugh at your fry story, that's happend to me too - that and setting off too many smoke detectors to mention! VV gravy is the best!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home