Tuesday, November 14, 2006

A Snow Day...

Winter is here! The kids are home from school- A SNOW DAY! Yesterday we got well over a foot of snow and they are warning us another foot on the way. Last year we didn't get our first dusting after Christmas. The first picture is a the view from our kitchen window. Does it look kind of familiar? My blog header picture was taken from my bedroom deck which is directly above the kitchen a couple of years ago.
This is a shot from out the front door..
Now on to the food.. A vegan breakfast crepe from The Garden of Vegan pg.41With some dinner crepe filling (Again, from the Garden of Vegan pg. 157) It consist of red onion, garlic, mushrooms, small tomato, red lentils, green beans and the recipe called for walnuts but, I didn't have any so I substituted some toasted pine nuts.

And the final product- a dinner crepe.. The verdict? Well, the kids ate theirs but, thought it was mighty strange. Evidently (in their 4 and 5 year old world) pancakes are flat w/ butter and syrup. It is my job to keep them on their toes, is it not? I thought it was pretty darn tasty. The crepes worked out beautifully, very reminiscent of my honeys Swedish pancakes he use to make.
And for desert... cranberry Apple crisp from La Dolce Vegan pg.234. I used some fresh cranberry's instead of frozen. I don't know if that influenced the tart factor but, the little kids didn't eat to much of it. I sent the rest w/ my older daughter Amber so her and her friends could finish it off.
I tried Leslie's Tofu Noodle soup- Well, I adapted--her adapted soup. I made a small batch, because my honey is gone again. My other changes include little bits of wheat gluten (equal portions of wheat gluten and water. Cut into tiny pieces) rather then tofu, I also added corn and green beans. A one pot wonder! LOVE THOSE! (0h ya, art by Emma)
And finally last night the kids and I got home late- Well, let me rephrase that we got in late. After picking up Eli from kindergarten there was some serious snow for the kids to play in and for me to shovel.. So here we have once again some baked tofu nuggets, I aslo made 'cheese' sauce for some left over noodles and asparagus.. Yep, Megan the vegan mention it being particularly odd -that its on sale in the the winter- being a spring vegetable and all.. Funny that was my first thought too, when I saw it on sale here.

Okay guys- It must be time to go play in the snow huh? errr.. and shovel!

19 Comments:

At 12:01 PM, Blogger aTxVegn said...

Wow! I can't believe you really see those snow-covered trees when you look out your kitchen window - it's so awesome! We get a snow day if it snows a half inch.

I think the dinner crepe filling sounds really good. Way to keep the kids guessing!

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger urban vegan said...

How beautiful---the trees, the snpw and the FOOD. Looks so cosy to be inside with all that snow around on those gorgeous pines.

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

I am jealous of your snow.

 
At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have such an incredible view! They're predicting a light dusting of snow here sometime this week which is supposed to be really rare for November. I hope it does because I love the way snow makes everything look. I have had all the ingredients ready to go to make Leslie's soup and everytime I start to make it, I think about how I really should finish the other refrigerator leftovers first! Hopefully I'll finally make it sometime this week.

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

the snow is so beautiful! what a georgous view you have while cooking - no wonder your food is so inspired. and i love the artwork too! :o)

 
At 4:30 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

That's what I love about winter...it makes everything beautiful. I really enjoyed those crepes when I made them, its something different.

Have you had Cindy-O's chicken and rice soup from La Dolce Vegan? That's good "chicken" soup!! It was the first soup I made from the book and I loved it. It also has bits of seitan in it.

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Eat Peace Please said...

I really like your version of the soup!

I can't get over that beauty of so much snow! Well, I grew up with snow but not THAT MUCH!!! I haven't seen real snow in 7 years, so this is a real treat, thanks!

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger erica said...

I wish it would snow here so I could have a snow day :(

oh, and I love Emma's art!

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger B said...

I'm jealous of your view, but not jealous of the shoveling!

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Hannah said...

oooo! I may not like the comd weather, but I can't wate till it snows hear!
Amber

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I appreciate it. I love your pictures from your house. I used to live in Alaska and I miss it so much. The views alone are enough to make you appreciate life. Yeap, one day we'll go back. Well, we have to...we still have our snowblower and we can't use it here in Texas.

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Nikk said...

What beautiful shots. Oh, and the food looks nice. You make me want to actually go through all that snow to drop in and scrounge a meal off of you. :)

I am amazed that the kids ate the crepes...most kids I know are not that adventurous, even if it's tasty!

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger Candi said...

I love the picture of the snow! I had no idea your blog title photo was from your window!! It's really pretty.

The foods all looks great too! A great way to stay warm! I love the soup especially!!

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger funwithyourfood said...

snow already eh? bummer.

teddy

 
At 3:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i will love to see the snow in real, its looks so beautifull!

 
At 5:16 AM, Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

hi julee: dropping by to let you know that i've moved! please update your links and when you get a chance come by for a visit. :o)

 
At 5:27 AM, Blogger laura k said...

The snow shot is absolutely gorgeous. I'm dreaming of living somewhere someday where there is snow. Alas, not in Georgia...

Everything looks so delicious, as always! You're such a busy chef!

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger bazu said...

Those pictures are damn beautiful. So cozy and atmospheric!

I live in upstate NY and am shocked, SHOCKED, that we haven't had any snow yet!

 
At 6:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like snow so much more in photos!!! LOL. We have none so far,hope the brown Nov. lasts a bit longer. These photos are lovely.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home