Tuesday, October 24, 2006

weekend flops

I recycled some leftovers and made the sweet potato and black beans chili from the other day into wraps. The kids and I were at the store and noticed some orange cauliflower which sent them into begging mode " oh please Mom can we buy it? can we please" whats a mom to do say no? Eli concluded that it taste just the same as "real" cauliflower. Little did he know it boast to have 25% more beta carotene the white.
From Dreena's Vive le Vegan Tomato-lentil pasta sauce. This was okay, Emma ate it, Eli needed a lot of coaxing. I LOVED the addition of toasted pine nuts and well, for me the capers didn't really add anything to it. Even little Emma who every once in a while will ask for a bite of capers straight up out of the bottle left a pile on her plate.


So the next two bean dishes came out of a new cook book I won off of e-bay for the whopping price of $2.98 w/ shipping!! Well, I kinda feel bad because the seller in the end didn't send it media mail and the cost of shipping for him ended up being $5.70. Whoops. The book is Vegan cooking for everyone by Leah Leneman. It has some pretty intriguing recipes but, it was published in London and a lot of the recipes call for a yeast extract. I had to google it and learned that the name brands are Vegemite or Marmite, which I have heard of but never seen in stores around here. Anyway these where pretty simple recipes that I thought the kids would like but, I was wrong. The first was a kidney bean "cheese burger". The book has a few pictures in it and the Kidney "cheese burger" was one of them. Their picture looked mouthwatering good. My "burger" how ever turned out looking nothing like it. The second was a Mexican bean loaf w/ a tomato gravy. This recipe also had nothing in it that I thought the kids would be opposed to but, it just wasn't a hit either. I must say though, I had it the next day in a tortilla and thought that it could make good enchiladas.
Sunday morning we had vegan w/ a vengeance's "fronch" toast. That was a big hit! and so much simpler then my french toast concoction! (which blogger is acting up and I can't seem to link to it right now)

On Saturday the kids were invited to a costume birthday party. No we are not big Dolphin fans. I bought them off of e-bay and this was the only combo of fit and matching team outfits that I could find for the kids. Eli use to have shoulder pads but they have been misplaced. I can only think that was a good thing and nobody was tackled as a result. And of course, when we are invited to birthday parties we have to go prepared so I made some blueberry-banana- oat muffins.

13 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Blogger laura k said...

It's too bad the new cookbook isn't working out as well as you hoped, but I'm sure you'll find something in it--and it will only take one or two successes to get your money's worth!

Orange cauliflower? Who knew?

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger bazu said...

Your kids are so so adorable! I can't get enough of their little costumes.
I'm sorry your dishes weren't big hits, but just looking at the pictures is making me hungry. (The power of blogging- everything looks like it would taste good!)

 
At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog for a while now, but I don't think that I have ever posted before. Anyway, I love your blog! Thanks for posting great looking dishes and yummy recipes!

Courtney

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger aTxVegn said...

Gosh, those dishes sure don't look like flops! I must say the fronch toast does look like a winner, as well as the muffins.

Your little ones are so precious!

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

goodness, all this food looks great! and the orange cauliflower is pretty & even keeps it's color after cooked - nice. seeing your post below w/the star polenta speaks right to me -- cookie cutters are a favorite w/the girls -- gotta make heart toast, or teddy bear pancakes, or star tortillas, etc. the shapes make ALL the difference in eatability. LOL! :o)

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Nikk said...

If you want to see some flopsy dishes, come to my house, particularly during mid week when I am too tired to care.

I love the costumes...they look SO cute!

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Ben Kaelan said...

Mmm!!! Muffins! Banana blueberry has gotta be the best combination ever for muffins!

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Candi said...

Well, at least you tried the recipes and maybe know how to change them to make them better? Or maybe just not make them at all since they weren't too loved! Lol! It's good to try though!!

The fronch toast looks great! I haven't made that recipe yet.

Awesome picture of the kids!! They look adorable in their costumes!!

Banana blueberry and oat?! :P Looks really good!!

 
At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your kids are just beautiful, what a great pic!!! Are they getting excited with Halloween just around the corner?

 
At 6:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There you go again with those adorable kid photographs! Vegemite and Marmite was just recently banned in the US. Go figure. I have never tried it but from what I understand you either love it or hate it and it has a very strong smell (which some have said is like fish food, dog crap, brewery sludge, and rotting garbage all mixed together). Hmmmm....

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger funwithyourfood said...

the kids look adorable (even if they aren't dolphins fans haha)

teddy

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger urban vegan said...

It all looks amazing. I absolutely LOVE that your kids are begging for cauliflower, orange or otherwise.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I, too, tried that kidney bean burger recipe. My son saw it and was so excited, he even helped put it together. Way too "squishy" was the concensus. Oh well, it never hurts too try new things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home