Wednesday, August 09, 2006

My little vegan chefs

vive le dangerous!



Yes it was raining again.. Not just a little light mist, no the kind that soaks ya between the store and the car. Yes we live in the rainforest, yes we regularly dawn our rain coats and rain boots - they are our normal attire. But, its not even suppose to be the rainy season yet, that is coming next. I have tried to keep the little ones busy despite the rain: we go to the library, play dates, swimming etc etc.. And we have glued, painted and created, but I am running out of ideas.. soo today we cooked. Before lunch we made Dreenas home-style chocolate cookies.. I get what all the hysteria is about (megan, vegancore, vivaciousvegan ect.. ect..).. Those are vive le dangerous. We made a double batch thank god! My dd could not believe it and just kept gleefully yelling about how they were the best cookies she has ever eaten in her life!! I used up the last of my stash of the tropical source chocolate chips. Major bummer as those we can not get locally. I bought them in Seattle..
Next we made dinner..I chose a simple recipe I have done in the past .. It is my I am too lazy to cook meal.. And remember we have little ones. It's from How It All Vegan, mums bean and cheese casserole.. It consists of cheese, potatoes, a can of veg baked beans, a squirt of mustard and a casserole pan. How hard could it be with the kids? Well, lets just say I planned ahead and we started very early...I thought I could kill some time by letting the kids peel the potatoes. Guess what? it worked.. It is definitely a task that requires some practice and patience. My daughter got some bits peeled here and there and then I tried to guide her a bit.. My son was getting it, but gave up breathing hard and saying "boy this is really hard work". So they moved on to trying to open the can of beans. Yet another task that requires practice and patience and a bit of strength neither of them has yet.. My son informed me "did you know they make a can opener that opens cans by itself? Ya its true all you have to do is push a button" (as seen on t.v.). Okay then I grated cheese while they mixed the mustard in w/ the beans and mixed in the potatoes. And then came the real fun..they got to do the scooping and layering each pan. We made two dishes one for the boys w/ real cheddar cheese and one for the girls w/ veganrella..
A dinner that should have taken five minute took about 45 min to prepare Cooking w/ kids and keeping them away from the t.v. -> priceless..

6 Comments:

At 9:32 AM, Blogger Dori said...

Hi! Thanks for visiting and ocmmenting on my blog. Yours has been a real treat to come read. Wonderful vegan chefs - I love it!

I kept looking at the picture of
"mums bean and cheese casserole.. It consists of cheese, potatoes, a can of veg bakeded beans, a squirt of mustard and a casserole pan" This looks really yummy. I love browned potaotes. I often top my baked potatoes with baked beans.

The green in my hair was kinda of a joke that backfired on me.... I was a bleached blonde too most of the time too.

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Dori said...

P.S. "keeping them away from the t.v. --- priceless". I give this production two thimbs up! :D

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

I LOVE this post! everything about it -- the food you cooked (that's it, i'm making those cookies!), & your little vegan chefs (ahh-dorble photo!)

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Carrie™ said...

I found you from comments you posted on blogs that I frequent, so I thought I would come over and say hi!
Those cookies are they best, aren't they? My husband just loves them. And so do I! The potatoes and beans looks great. I could eat potatoes everyday. It's great that you get the kids helping in the kitchen. It's good practice and it's so nice to be able to spend quality time with them doing something you all enjoy. And they can take pride in knowing that they helped to prepare the food that everyone eats at dinnertime. Wonderful!

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Carrie™ said...

Oh, and a comment about the cookbooks...you're a girl after my own heart! I'm a total cookbook junkie too. I see you have a lot of the same books that I do. Do you have a favorite? I go in phases and for me it is hard to pick an all-out favorite.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger madeinalaska said...

hey thanks ya all for stopping by my blog..
The cook book question is hard huh? I too go through phases but what makes it hard is cooking for the 4 and 5 year old tastes.. They are pretty adventurous I think but, they have limits.. I have loved every recipe from the venturesome vegetarian, complete vegan cookbook, and vegan world fusion. I haven't done much from vive yet but, I do look forward to doing more. The Kramer books I find pretty useful in a pinch as most of the recipes are quick, easy and can be produced from what’s in the pantry or fridge. I also have a big notebook from internet recipes.. I love http://allrecipes.com . The five star recipes usually can’t be beat! How about you which are your fav?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home