Sunday, August 20, 2006

More vive le vegan

Saturdays night dinner.. Yet another recipe from vive le vegan .. The pureed chickpea pasta sauce(pg 99) we didn't have the fresh herbs it called for so I sprinkled some dried ones on at the end.. Funny, this one didn't quite strike my fancy like the other ones.. But, I thought the sauce would make some darn fine potato salad adding some relish and celery...I think it was the dry mustard which I am not a big fan of and didn't even add the whole tsp the recipe called for.. Emma gobbled hers up though.. Eli needed a bit of coaxing.. No big surprise there..
Friday night comfort food.. Vive's Scalloped potatoes (pg 102) and Cookin' Southern Coal miners "chicken fried" steak (pg. 92). This was my first recipe from this book and I must say I was quite impressed.. The chicken is really a chick pea + quick oat patty.. I have tried two other recipes for chick pea patties and well, this one the kids will eat.. The others were baked though? Any way if you like to read cook books this one is a hoot! Full of southern stories and humor! Most of the recipes are vegan or easily veganized.. all though it should come as no big surprise there is a lot of frying going on in it.. I would probably recommend it for beginners or for those who are transitioning to becoming vegetarian/vegan.. As a few recipes rely on packaged food, or just plain common sense. But, I bet you won't find another cook book w/ a recipe for tater-tot biscuits..

From Cookin Southern - the author wrote a bit of an essay on nobody liking to wash dishes.. Then she came across this little ditty that gave her a different outlook..

Thank God for dirty dishes,
for they have a tale to tell.
while others may go hungry
we're still eating well.
with heath, home, and happiness,
We surely shouldn't fuss.
For by the stack of evidence,
Life's been very good to us.

8 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

i recently made the chickpea pasta sauce - i find it interesting that the same recipe will yield quiet different results! i've been meaning to make the scalloped potatoes - looks delicious! i really like the dirty dishes blessing -- a thankful way to look at the mess. lol!

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Carrie™ said...

I like the dirty dishes blessing too. Tater tot biscuits? Sounds different that's for sure.
One thing that I've seen a lot of on blogs and never heard about until recently is biscuits with gravy. I find that so odd. I guess it's a cultural thing. I grew up way out on the east coast of Canada, in New Brunswick (it borders Maine) and we would have biscuits with molasses - which I found out after I left the Maritimes that it is an odd cultural thing too. Interesting to say the least.

 
At 5:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't tried the chickpea pasta sauce yet, but it's on my list for nxt week. Looks yummy!

 
At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yummy scallped potatoes. Be still my heart! I have a few potatoes that are going to start growing freaky eyes so this will be a great way to use them up. Thanks for the idea.

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Harmonia said...

You're right! Dreena is a kitchen Goddess!

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger MeloMeals said...

I love the dirty dish blessing...

and the pasta looks good.. I can see how the sauce would be better on potato salad... that's the beauty of cooking...

I have the Cooking Southern cookbook and have wondered about those patties..

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Dori said...

I love scalloped potato, never tried Dreena's though. My southern grandma had a kitchen plaque with that kitchen prayer on it. Great looking food!

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger love-up-you said...

Diamantentrauringe sind immer sehr beliebt bei thomas szabo den Paaren. Und der Grund seiner Popularität ist seine Eleganz und natürlicher Schönheit. Aber thomas sabo uhr vor Kauf Ihres Diamantring Sie müssen bedenken, die 4C von Diamant, Schnitt, Farbe, Karat thomas sabo ohrringe seestern und Klarheit. Es ist sehr wichtig, das Wissen dieser 4C haben. Aber der wichtigste Faktor unter ihnen ist der Schnitt eines thomas sabo anhänger Diamanten. Cut von Diamant bezieht sich nur auf die Qualität der Diamanten und auch seine Form.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home