Friday, August 18, 2006

Curried veggie pie w/ chickpea crust


Last night we gave Vive le vegan a break.. I made curried vegetable pie w/ chickpea crust from the garden of vegan (pg 158).. Well, had to make a couple of changes. One change I made was the necessary step of disguising the onion, carrots, celery, tomato and red pepper by pureeing them after they were sauteed.. cuz of our little Eli.. After that step I didn't need to add the veg broth the recipe called for... Whats acceptable? left un-pureed are the peas, chickpeas and cauliflower...I also used curry paste rather then powder.. But, my guestimation made it a bit on the spicy side.. Which only really bothered Eli (there is one in every family huh??, one that is a bit picker then the rest?)..I thought it was perfect, Emma gobbled hers up and dad was pretty pleased. The crust turned out great and I am NOT, I repeat NOT a crust maker.. I lack some gene needed to make even the fail proof kinds of crust.. I have read all the tips, I have tried all the tips.. Still my crust is usually very edible just not pretty.... The pictures is kinda washed out the crust was a golden brown..

8 Comments:

At 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks absolutely delicious!

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger urban vegan said...

Nice!

I sometimes disguise food for Omnniman, too. [Hope he doesn't read this--haha] Sometimes, if I give a dish a more exciting name, he will chomp it up quite happily. For example, if I say we're having Tofu Cutlets, he will yawn, but if I say we'e having Southern Fried Tofu, he won't be able to contain himself.

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger MeloMeals said...

I think it looks delicious! I always puree the offenders too.. hehe..

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Carrie™ said...

Nice week of cooking I must say. I have wanted to try that recipe for a long time now. Good to hear that it's a winner. I just got some nice fresh cauliflower too, so maybe this week. Keep the pictures coming!

 
At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been away for a while and don't have time to comment on all your recent posts but I did want to say I am so happy you're blogging. Your food always looks delicious and inspiring. The chickpea crust sounds like it's a definite keeper (I'll be giving it a try myself very soon).

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Dori said...

Interesting chickpea crust. I don;t have this cookbook you mention, so I love to see the refreshing new to me ideas.

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Harmonia said...

This looks amazing! YUM!

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Nikk said...

This looks yummy! I will need to check this out as I too lack the 'crust gene'.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home