Thursday, January 18, 2007

Tofu sramble success!!!

I made the tofu scramble from VWAV last Saturday night. We had a weird kind of day, we just hung out and snacked all day. Except Eli who went to a birthday party where he got to make his own pizza (very exciting). Anyway, there was just no need for a big dinner production, when I got hungry I made this scramble thinking I would offer it to everyone and they could eat it or not..(oh ya, I was in a mood). This is what Mom wanted- this is what I was cooking and everyone was welcome to join me. Now, mind you I have been pureeing my veggies for my kids sake FOREVER! Not this time can you see the tofu, mushrooms, green peppers, onions -OH MY! Nothing hiding there huh? I cooked it in our quesadilla maker w/ a bit of veganrella. Everybody came to the table and never said a word about what was inside their tortillas.. Even Eli ate it!

Looks kinda creepy huh? I used up some of my seitan from last week in this Vietnamese "beef" noodle soup from Vegetarian Soups for all Seasons. I have made a soup like this before using a recipe from the Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow cooker and all though they are very similar I think I prefer the slow cooker recipe.
My first recipe from the Vegan Lunch Box- the "fish" sticks. Pretty good, a nice change from the baked tofu nuggets. I think they would be a better using a "fishy" marinade I found in the Cooking Southern Vegetarian Style cookbook. Maybe next time. Along side we have some carrot-potato pancakes from Vegan Family Favorites. Those were awesome! I must say that is one recipe that everyone wished I had doubled!
And finally, a Vive le Vegan recipe, the Sweet curry chickpea casserole. This one just didn't strike my fancy. I loved the idea, loved all the ingredients but, I think we would all prefer the Sweet potato curry from Vegan Family Favorites. Or really a combo of the two.
So, lastly I was invited by Laura from the Jewish Vegan to participate in a vegan/vegetarian recipe exchange I was wondering if I could recruit anybody out there in blogland? Anybody interested? You would be asked to send a recipe to two people then pass on the e-mail to ten of your friends. In return if everybody does it you should get a boat load of new recipes. If your interested please e-mail me at vegan325@hotmail.com.

Labels: , , , ,

18 Comments:

At 11:55 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

Your "beef" looks just like the real thing!

I'll have to get the Uncheese cookbook and try the white bean/corn sauce you referred to. Switch things up a bit :)

Crystal

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Mmmmm...I love curries. A sweet potato currie? Sounds interesting. I still have not been able to bring myself to try sweet potatoes or yams yet. As for tofu scrambles, love them. They're so easy to throw together and are so so yummy. I'd love to do that recipe exchange. I'll email you with my info. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Dori said...

I have been in to trying curries as of late. I did make the VLVv curry casserole, 1/2 is in the freezer cause I am the only one who ate it.

The quesdillas look grand.

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger aTxVegn said...

I love the breakfast quesadillas! I almost made that vietnamese soup last week, but decided on more of a veggie soup. Yours sure looks beefy! I also made that chickpea casserole from Vive, but I left out the apples and celery and subbed in green peppers and mushrooms. I didn't love it until I served it over rice, then it was delish!

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Amey said...

Oh neat, so many nice ideas and meals. I especially love the looks of that "beef" noodle soup. I don't have either of those cookbooks, but I think I'll look up those recipes. Your little "beef" nuggets look super yummy.

Also, your comment about "everyone can just eat it or not" really cracked me up. I totally know that mood. Ha ha. I'm so glad that everyone sat down and ate it... and you didn't even have to puree your veggies! Congratulations!!

 
At 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go with the tofu scramble! I hope you're able to ease in more stuff like this. I think the Vietnamese beef noodle soup looks delicious!

Woule you recommend Vegan Family Favorites? I'm starting to see quite a few recipes from it.

I already got tagged for the recipe exchange or else I'd help you out. :)

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Ruthie said...

You go girl, that quesadilla looks yuuuuummy!

 
At 6:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's always fun when your family eats your food without complaining (lol)! Everything looks great.

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger urban vegan said...

my mouth is watering. the soup looks great and so do the quesadillas.

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger TNL said...

Just dropped in from 28 cooks' site...I love that Tofu scramble and that noodle soup looks very tempting!

Cheers from Newfoundland,
TRS

 
At 6:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that beef soup looks fantastic. I've also been meaning to try the tofu fish sticks.

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger Candi said...

I love the breakfast quesadilla! I don't own a quesadilla maker, but a friend of mine has one and loves it. I had no idea what a vegan would use it for, especially if she doesn't love vegan cheese! I like your breakfast scramble quesadilla though! If they ever start selling better vegan cheeses, I will have to buy the ques. maker!! :)

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger laura k said...

The tofu scramble looks great--in a quesadilla, yum! I have not tried that Vive recipe, I wonder if I would like it? I have a lot of chickpeas to use...

I made those "fish" sticks recently, and really enjoyed them. I actually liked that they weren't overly fishy-tasting. It's been so long since I had fish, too much flavor might gross me out.

I'm already in the recipe exchange too, but good luck!

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Sheree' said...

Your tofu scramble looks wonderful. I feel silly, but I have never thought to put green peppers in mine. Maybe I am in a rut. Same scramble everytime. Bryanna's recipe with mushrooms, scallions, and extra nutritional yeast. I think it is time for a change. Your "Beef" looks good. I have tried making seitan twice with 2 failures. I am not going to give up! The tofu fish sticks are on our menu for tomorrow. Maybe I will stop by the book store and see about the fish marinade you are talking about. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 7:25 AM, Blogger Nikk said...

I really have to get a copy of Vive! I see so many recipes I want to try!

The food looks so good!

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger islandgirlshell said...

your scramble looks really good! and i love the idea of putting it in a quesadilla. never thought of that! can't wait to try your cream of tomato soup and, now, maybe the beef noodle one, too.

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger bazu said...

Yum tofu scramble.

YUMMM vietnamese beef noodle soup.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger love-up-you said...

Diamantentrauringe sind immer sehr beliebt bei thomas szabo den Paaren. Und der Grund seiner Popularität ist seine Eleganz und natürlicher Schönheit. Aber thomas sabo uhr vor Kauf Ihres Diamantring Sie müssen bedenken, die 4C von Diamant, Schnitt, Farbe, Karat thomas sabo ohrringe seestern und Klarheit. Es ist sehr wichtig, das Wissen dieser 4C haben. Aber der wichtigste Faktor unter ihnen ist der Schnitt eines thomas sabo anhänger Diamanten. Cut von Diamant bezieht sich nur auf die Qualität der Diamanten und auch seine Form.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home