Thursday, January 25, 2007

Busy week = Vegan Fast Food

Wow, a whole week has just zoomed by. DH had to leave again on business and that makes life a bit hectic around here. Before he left, our little social butterfly Emma had orchestrated a family date. We went to a noodle place kinda like a Mongolian barbeque kind of thing. You fill your bowel w/ veggies, noodles and a sauce and they fry it up. All of the sauces that are vegan are clearly labeled. So, I couldn't decide on which picture to post .. The one w/ o the flash or the one w/ the flash.. This is the Gee Whiz Spread from the Uncheese cookbook on the noodles w/ green beans. The kids ate it, but I think they would prefer the my normal cheese sauce on their noodles. I was intrigued by this one because it uses white beans for the base..And I had just pressure cooked a boat load of beans (white, chick and black). Besides I am always on the hunt for the next family favorite. This sadly wasn't it though.
A meal on the run, the kids and I got home after school and running around w/ just enough time to make a quickie sandwich and steamed asparagus before we had to leave again for a preschool meeting. I had bought a tofu cutlet- blahh very bland. But, affordable and quick. The real selling point was the new bread from Costco.. The kids just loved it! I was pretty surprised they both don't like to eat crust but, LOVED this crust.
From the Vegan Vittles cookbook the Cheddary Cheeze Soup. Well, sort of my modifications include using two cups white beans instead of silken tofu, sweet potato rather then a white, veggie broth instead of water and added some of the left over cauliflower from the other day.. Yum, I Love this soup! The kids - ehh,, I can't say they love it, but they will eat it. They did love the bread sticks though.
One very dolled up Annies cheesless pizza.. I added oodles of zucchini, red peppers, mushrooms, red onions, and veganrella. From The Everyday Vegan some Soul-full Chili. We had my daughter Amber and her boyfriend for dinner that night and need to make something that wasn't going to our weird vegan food. I.e. no tofu, seitan and what not. This chili got mixed reviews though, a bit to tomato-y for some. It did age well, the leftovers were great.
To go w/ the chili I made corn bread using the country corn muffin recipe from How It All Vegan. Only I cooked it in my cast iron skillet.

whew!
I see a lot animals on other vegan blogs out there. Now, let me introduce you to our dogs.. Emma is on the girl dog her name is Tani. A great big love bug! They were trying to ride her. One would throw a snowball to get Tani to jump up and chase. Nobody got a ride though, it was more like being thrown from a bucking bronco.

Here is the boy dog Timber.


They are Black Russian Terriers my honey got them from a very good friend and colleague from Russia. They are very good family dogs, Timber however is a guard dog and will bite when a stranger approaches the door. Once inside he will be your best bud, and leaving generally isn't a problem either. It is just getting guest into the house that's the problem. He is a very sweet boy though once he gets to know you. They have quirky personalities and are very smart and playful.
Traditionally their breeds hair looks like this.. They don't shed, their hair just grows and grows. Ours are outside dogs and living in Alaska we don't want them to get a chill during the winter.

Labels: , , , , ,

19 Comments:

At 3:34 PM, Blogger Dori said...

Your kiddos are so picturesque. Love the dogs. DH here always thought a big breed would be nice to own. Big = St Barnard or something equal in size. We don't have a large enough house for such a pup to roam.

Cornbread sure sounds good.

 
At 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't know where to start....all the food looks gorgeous~

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Sheree' said...

Wow you have quite an assortment of delicious looking food here. I like the flash picture. Has a more yellow tint to it. Noodles are great almost anyway you want to cook them.

YOur family and the dogs are awesome. I have a lab mix and rotty mix. They are on my blog too. I don't know what I would do without them. I just have to have animals to survive.

 
At 4:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your kids are so cute.

I love mongolian BBQ but I always overload the veggies and never put enough sauce. I have the Uncheese book but I'm scared to try any of the recipes (lol).

 
At 5:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everything looks delish! I've heard so many mixed reviews on the uncheese cookbook. Do you recommend it?

I love cast iron corn bread. A friend taught me to heat up a bit of oil in the pan first until it's really really hot. Then you pour your batter in (it should sizzle) and put it in the oven. When it comes out, the crust is very crispy and tasty.

Oh boy, your dogs are adorable! I love the shaggy fur but I think Marty would just recoil in horror over the sight of that much fur. He's not really a dog person.

Ok, so your dogs have been exposed. When are you coming out from behind the apron??? ;-)

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger scottishvegan said...

All that food looks delish. The pics of your kids and dogs are adorable! And I like the photo of the Gee Whiz spread without the flash best...

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Ruthie said...

Yay!! Food!!!!! :) Russell thought the Gee Whiz spread didn't look appetizing, but then I reminded him that I've made it and he's eaten it in the past. Some foods just don't photograph well! I absolutely love the Uncheese Cookbook, but I'm crazy for Nutritional Yeast and Joanne Stepaniak! :) BTW Russell (who was obviously looking over my shoulder this morning!) caught a glimpse of your sietan beef noodle soup from a few posts ago and now I'm trying to figure out how to get my hands on La Dolce Vegan for the sietan recipe! Hee hee.

Your children and puppy are SOOOOOO cute!!I love the Mongolian BBQ pics. Mongolian BBQs are my favorite type of resturants. My parents used to have a Great Pyrenees-Anatolian shepherd mix dog. It was HUGE and so lovable. I have always dreamed of having a Mastiff-like or a Old English Sheepdog-like mutt. :)

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Brooke said...

Cast iron skillet cornbread is now in my brain and I must go make some!

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger bazu said...

Ok, your "fast" food looks better than most "normal" food- everything is so yummy! And your kids are so photogenic. I wish I could taste some of the stuff you post- like that cheezy soup or those noodles at the restaurant-mmmm.

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger Mary Worrell said...

Thanks for the yarn links!

Yeah, I still use the really cheap stuff, but I'm annoyed that - even if I was independently wealthy - there's not enough purdy yarn out there for vegans.

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger Linda said...

OMG i want your dog and your food. great photos! your daughter is adorable!

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger urban vegan said...

What an idyllic life it looks like you lead. Cute kids. Good food. Pretty snow. Sigh...


Doggie is so adorable--and gigantic!

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger aTxVegn said...

I love the kids and dogs pictures - such a lovely family. That Costco bread really does look good. Thanks for the tip on that. And your dressed up takeout pizza looks awesome!

 
At 7:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

all looks amazing!

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Keri Jean Siry said...

I LOVE the uncheese cookbook! Thanks for the kudos on my blog...yours looks great too! K

 
At 12:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger love-up-you said...

Diamantentrauringe sind immer sehr beliebt bei thomas szabo den Paaren. Und der Grund seiner Popularität ist seine Eleganz und natürlicher Schönheit. Aber thomas sabo uhr vor Kauf Ihres Diamantring Sie müssen bedenken, die 4C von Diamant, Schnitt, Farbe, Karat thomas sabo ohrringe seestern und Klarheit. Es ist sehr wichtig, das Wissen dieser 4C haben. Aber der wichtigste Faktor unter ihnen ist der Schnitt eines thomas sabo anhänger Diamanten. Cut von Diamant bezieht sich nur auf die Qualität der Diamanten und auch seine Form.

 
At 6:58 AM, Anonymous fresh vending said...

Fresh Healthy Vending is the only vending franchise company that offers locations 100% juices, fresh vegetables and fruits, smoothies, and yogurts in every one of its healthy vending machines. potato chips and low fat popcorn like Pirate's Booty.

 
At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I own a Black Russian Terrier. Great dogs! I am jealous that you have two!

~tumblr.com/greediguts

 

Post a Comment

<< Home