Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Nothing fancy...

Well, Daddy was gone all week, this leaves me very unmotivated to do any gung-ho cooking. Rather, I prefer to do low stress, easy dinners. Exhibit -A. Tofu nuggets, some baked red potatoes w/ some leftover cheese sauce, and green beans. Funny the kids didn't really enjoy the potatoes like I thought they would. Speaking of the cheese sauce I updated my recipe from the last post to clarify PLAIN rice milk. Sloppy lentils I basically followed Jennifer's recipe my changes included adding 2 cloves garlic, 1/2 cup carrots, 1/2 onion and two handfuls of fresh spinach. Which I cooked in veggie broth then pureed before adding the lentils. This was a real hit w/ the kids the first night - left overs the next night ehh.. not so much. But, they really don't like left over anything. Silly kids. I was hit by a cold this day- I spent most of the day on the couch and was sooo not motivated to cook anything. I seriously debated (w/myself) serving the kids peanut butter and jelly. Just to avoid having to do any dishes. I didn't so from out of the pantry we have some organic spaghetti sauce from a jar, frozen crumbles and whole wheat pasta.

Here we have an adapted soup from Vegetarian Soups for all Seasons. The Curried Lentil, potato, and cauliflower soup w/ spinach and lots of garlic.. My changes though include substituting 2 cups of broth w/ one can of coconut milk, sweet potato instead of white, 2 TB soy sauce, 1 stick lemon grass and about six lime leaves (honey brought some fresh ones back w/ him!). This was a good soup.. But, Emma and I added a splash of some spicy chili dipping sauce to ours that seem to give it just the flavor it was missing.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At 2:46 PM, Blogger Dori said...

Although nothing fancy the food looks down home and comforting. I hate colds. Since the last one I had I have been keeping germ x everywhere and apply it several times a day while I am at school. At home it didn't bother me to much but i would lysol everything when one of had a cold. Sending mend fast wishes to you.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I was catching up on some blogs tonight and that soup you have posted caught my eye. I was looking for dinner ideas for tonight and that just looked so darn good. I wish I had that book because it sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing and hope you are feeling better. Take care of yourself.

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Ruthie said...

Yum! I love the potatoes and tofu and the spaghetti. Simple foods are so nice. :)

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger bazu said...

See, I love leftovers (especially for breakfast), so you should adopt me into your house, so I can eat all the leftovers the kids don't want anymore...

Hope you're feeling better!

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Linda said...

that soup looks wonderful. wish i had some for lunch today! this weather makes me want soup in an intervenes or something!

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Nikk said...

Comfort food rocks!

I hope you feel better soon!

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger laura k said...

Wow, your soup adaptation sounds just right. All your simple foods look good to me. I think it's funny that your kids don't care for leftovers--I remember when I was that way too!

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger scottishvegan said...

Hope you're feeling better! All the food looks like great comfort food...that's my favourite kind!

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger urban vegan said...

How do you make those tofu nuggets? I'm intrigued!

 
At 5:37 AM, Blogger MeloMeals said...

Looks great! My kids love the "nothing fancy" meals more than the ones I take hours to prepare.. hehe..

Hope you feel better soon!

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger Harmonia said...

Miss you in V.O. The food looks great! thanks for the ideas!

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger Kati said...

The soup, the tofu nuggets, and the sloppy lentils are all looking really good to me right now. They look like such warm, comforting dishes! Hope you're feeling better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home