Thursday, February 01, 2007

This weeks dinners..

Looks like breakfast huh? Nope it was a dinner. Biscuits from Cookin' Southern, carrot potato hash browns from Vegan Family Favorites, vegan sausage, and the real winner Bryanna's Hollandaise sauce from her website. It was freaky good! The perfect combo of texture and taste w/o eggs. I am just amazed by how she can brilliantly veganize things. The kiddo's have been begging for mac and cheese. I used my ol'standby recipe only I had a carton of rice milk that needed to be use so I replaced 1 1/2 cups of water w/that and the other 1/2 cup I used veggie broth. Man what an awesome replacement it ending up being! Nice and creamy! On the side was a big veggie salad w/ a bits of "beefy" seitan. Happy kids, very happy!

improved "cheese" sauce
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp salt & garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 cup plain rice milk + 1/2 cup veggie broth
1 tsp prepared mustard
2 tbs. earth balance
Combine dry ingredients and rice milk and broth and heat until bubbling and thick- keep stirring it gets thick quick. Remove from heat add mustard and earth balance.

This makes a lot..I probably used half for 4 servings of noodles.

For the baked mac I added some home made bread crumbs from some left over home made bread in the freezer. Just toasted it and put in in the food processor w/ a bit of olive oil and simply organics all purpose seasoning. I bake at 350 until the top gets toasty and brown.


I had a real hankering for a mock meatball sandwich. I used the Lentil-rice Ball recipe from the Vegan Lunch box. I thoroughly enjoyed them- the kids not so much. I think it was just the brown lentils they don't really like. My honey is gone out of town again and missed this one. Poor guy this was a sandwich right up his alley. Maybe when he gets back I will try them again w/ red lentils..hmmmmm anyway while we were eating it Emma asked why I just couldn't have used seitan.. soooo
The next day her and I made the 'beefy' seitan again from La Dolce Vegan . Then we sauteed up some onions, mushrooms, and red pepper added some pineapple and pizza sauce, melted some vegan rella and had us a pizza sandwich. Yum!
Here we have Wendy's (red) Lentil and brown rice Casserole from La Dolce Vegan. I had my doubts but, it was easy just dumping all the ingredients into a casserole dish and cooking it. I happened to love this one too, the kids ehhh.. But, they ate it.

Labels: , , ,

15 Comments:

At 7:38 PM, Blogger islandgirlshell said...

the mac and cheese looks delicious! so do the sandwiches! I'm amazed at what your kids eat! that's so great :)

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger Ruthie said...

Yum! Those sausage biscuits look amazing.

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Sheree' said...

I am always on the look out for a new mac and cheese recipe. Your sandwich is awesome. I love how those meatballs work for this kind of sub. I think your mac and cheese is on the menu for tomorrows lunch. It is almost 11pm and here I am thinking of tomorrows lunch. lol That is what I get for reading your yummy blog so late.

 
At 4:01 AM, Blogger laura k said...

Wow, that mac and cheese brings back memories--I used to love it baked with homemade bread crumbs on top! I'm glad you found an improvement to an already great recipe!

The biscuits and hollandaise sauce look delicious.

 
At 6:51 AM, Blogger bazu said...

Oooh- You just gave me a hankering for a meatball sub! I had biscuits and sausage this week too, with gravy. That hollandaise sauce looks amazing.

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger erica said...

Yum! Vegan mac n' cheese I tend to burn out on fast, but then crave in a month or two. I will have to try your recipe next.

 
At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have so many red lentils. Wendy's recipe from LDV would be perfect. It looks delicious and I love the idea of dumping everything in.

I'm surprised your kids ate that pizza sandwich. Looks delicious!

 
At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have so many red lentils. Wendy's recipe from LDV would be perfect. It looks delicious and I love the idea of dumping everything in.

I'm surprised your kids ate that pizza sandwich. Looks delicious!

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger urban vegan said...

Everything looks so satisfying, esp. the unmeatball sammie! Every once in a while, I crave Mac & unCheese, too!

 
At 5:45 AM, Blogger Taylor said...

I think I want to try the sweet potato hash browns.

Just read your behind the apron...life is so unpredictable; I've given up on speculation.

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Emmy said...

The hollandaise sauce looks really good. Thanks for the link to the recipe :)

 
At 5:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love breakfast for dinner! Your mac and cheese looks so good - I'm going to have to try your recipe.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger aTxVegn said...

What great kid friendly food this week you are so creative! I have been craving a meatball sub or pizza type sandwich lately and yours look so good. I've also had my eye on that lentil casserole.

 
At 2:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum, i really like this post, all i see i want it :)

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Celine said...

please tell me why talk badly of LDV?
I love the book. your food is testimony of how good it looks/is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home