Thursday, March 15, 2007

still cooking


Awhile back I made the lentil balls from the Vegan Lunchbox and thought that my Honey would love them (he was traveling). The kids were not that thrilled about them and I thought it was the brown lentils so this time I tried it w/ red lentils. I cut down on the cooking time but, they ended up being a bit too mushy and well, just plain not as good as the original ones.
I made some more "beefy" seitan from La Dolce Vegan and covered them in some homemade bbq and baked them. Really good flavor but, the seitan didn't firm up enough for Honey who suggested a light fry after baking would have made this over the top good!
Sweet potato curry. One of Emma's favorites.
Ginger hoisin noodles from the Everyday Vegan. I double the recipe for the sauce and marinated the tofu in it- then lightly fried it up. I used udon noodles instead of rice, which was okay but, would have been better w/ rice noodles I think. Emma LOVED these noodles. Very kid friendly.
From the Real Food Daily- I made the basic seitan in the morning (4 lbs worth!) then marinated it using the Salisbury seitan recipe then smothered it w/ some Golden Gravy(all from the same book). The kids I must say had to be coaxed to eat this one. I thought it was good. I think it was the texture of this seitan more then the flavors the kids didn't like. Everybody in our house prefers the Vegan w/ a Vengeance seitan.. So now what do I do with the other two pounds of seitan? Along side I made Granny's hurry-up dinner rolls. Which were okay.
Roasted pepper Cannellini bean Sauce from Vive le Vegan. Honey liked it - The kids and I -not so much. I added some red pepper flakes to mine.
So, I saw Bazu's post w/ her walk the other day I thought I would share w/ you what our walk looks like.. I am 5'11 and the wall of snow is about eye level. It has been one heck of a crazy year here. We are working our way to braking the snowiest year on record here in Juneau. So far this is the fourth snowiest year w/ about 177 inches the record is 194 inches. The weather forecast calls for yet another storm headed our way and snow likely all week... uuuggghhhh! Yes, I know I live in Alaska but, we live in the rain forest not way up north.
Well, truth be told I don't fair well in hot weather - but, right now I am dreaming of a warm sandy beach and a cool drink something w/ an umbrella in it!
Snow ball fight anyone?

Labels: , , , , ,

20 Comments:

At 12:15 PM, Blogger MeloMeals said...

Wow! That's a lot of snow! I can't even imagine...

Your food looks great... especially the lo-mein...

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

The snow is beautiful!!

For the rest of the seitan, how about grilled & skewered?

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

or noodle soup.

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger bazu said...

The snow! I'm blind! I'm blind!
Guess what? All of our snow melted, but now they're saying that we're expected to get 8-16 inches more this weekend. Oh well, so much for the warm spell!

Your food looks so good- I think the Real Food Daily will be my next cookbook.

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger KleoPatra said...

That's some great cookin' there. And SNOW! Oh wow, what a contrast. I can't believe it's that full of the white stuff by you, this late in the year... maybe that's how it always is!? Wow, it's really beautiful to see.

 
At 5:56 AM, Blogger JENNA said...

yesterday i walked to the store in just a light sweatshirt. today its snowing like crazy. but not that much snow!

all that food you've made! my favorite is the beefy seitan..i could dig right into that.

JENNA

 
At 6:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try the seitan tacos from Real Food Daily - we thought they were amazing!

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger laura k said...

That's an amazing snowfall... Gosh it's beautiful.

I was eyeing the ginger-hoisin noodles last night, and I think I'll have to try them soon.

Thanks for your help with the Korean food--it went over well last night, and we're doing it again Sunday when we have more time. I think it will be even better.

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger scottishvegan said...

Wow! That snow is amazing! Everything looks delish, especially the noodles..yum!

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Amey said...

Oh wow!
You are TOUGH! That's so much snow! How beautiful. Unlike you though, I'm a warm weather gal. I tried living in Seattle for 2 years, and came home (california)with my tail between my legs! I'm still wearing my tank top and shorts... I guess the world takes all kinds!

I really like that you say for each meal how you and your family felt about it. That's so helpful. also, I agree with you that the Real Food Daily seitan is not as good as the VwaV or La Dolce Vegan recipes - and it makes SO much! I used it up in seitan fajitas, which was great.

 
At 2:27 AM, Blogger Tracy said...

I'm going to have to try BBQ sauce on seitan next week. I've done just about everything else with it, but never BBQ sauce. Looks tasty!

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Jackie said...

I find the big green lentils best and never have the brown ones anymore as they play havoc with my system.

That is a lot of snow. I am glad it only snows here once every 20 years or I would never get out of bed in Winter :)

 
At 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, look at all that snow. I don't think I could handle being in that much snow or cold. Well, at least you had lots of comforting food to keep you warm.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger aTxVegn said...

Oh, that snow! I would never survive north of Dallas!

We like the RFD seitan and it's so easy to make, but it's the only recipe I've tried. I'll try the ones from the other books. They look pretty easy too. I always give Chase my leftover 2 pounds of seitan!

I'm with Emma on the sweet potato curry - yum!

 
At 8:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would go crazy if I lived in that much snow. We get about 2-4" a year and that's just enough for me! You really have to try the seitan recipe on Jess's blog (from the PPK). The texture is perfect.

You've got some yummy looking food here but I've got my eyes on the lo-mein. After blog hopping this morning, I've definitely got a Chinese craving.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger urban vegan said...

I love the variety of foods you make--you never seem to have the same thing twice...you're an adventurous chef.

I have to stop complaining about the snow...I'm such a whiner...we only got 3 inches. Your snow is so much prettier than our urban snow. City snow is pretty for about an hour--until the cars turn it grey & mushy and the dogs turn it yellow.

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Candi said...

MMM! The sweet potato curry sounds really good! Where is the recipe from, or did you make it up?

Wow, you're so tall and the snow is eye level!! Britty would love that! lol! The photo does make it look so pretty though! :) We've got lots out here in Massachusetts now too after a storm we had this Friday. We went sledding and tried to enjoy it since it is almost spring! (yay!) So I say YES to your snowball fight offer!! lol!

 
At 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, so much snow! i know you are tired of it, but i wish to see some :)

the food looks good.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger love-up-you said...

Diamantentrauringe sind immer sehr beliebt bei thomas szabo den Paaren. Und der Grund seiner Popularität ist seine Eleganz und natürlicher Schönheit. Aber thomas sabo uhr vor Kauf Ihres Diamantring Sie müssen bedenken, die 4C von Diamant, Schnitt, Farbe, Karat thomas sabo ohrringe seestern und Klarheit. Es ist sehr wichtig, das Wissen dieser 4C haben. Aber der wichtigste Faktor unter ihnen ist der Schnitt eines thomas sabo anhänger Diamanten. Cut von Diamant bezieht sich nur auf die Qualität der Diamanten und auch seine Form.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home