Tuesday, February 27, 2007

More Kid Food..

Hey there.. I can't believe I started this post on the Feb. 15th and just never got back to post it. Well, after some editing I will give you a very condensed version of what I have been cooking in the last couple of weeks. Dear Honey has been traveling an obnoxious amount the last few weeks, so posting is hard because 1) I really don't have time and 2) when he isn't here I am just far less motivated to make any thing that requires a lot of dishes (he always cleans up after dinner- ohhh I do my share while I cook- I am a firm believer in washing as you go) .

Exhibit A.. A no dishes to do kind of dinner...Chili baked potato w/ follow you heart vegan nacho cheese.. cue the choir- this is one of the only vegan cheese the boys will eat. Yes, that is suppose to be sour cream on there, we had a little incident w/ the fridge when one of the little ones thought they would turn the dial to the coldest setting and see what would happen. There were a few casualties like the sprouts and lettuce . Well, and the sour cream it still taste the same but the texture did change that's for sure. Oh ya, let us not forget the brand new $6.49 bottle of Vegenaise mayo.. me oh my it will never be the same.
"chicken" fried seitan sandwich- I have a real weakness for this one. Poor honey missed out, he has been asking for some chicken fried seitan for weeks now.
A real garlic lovers dream!!! Dreena's Basic Creamy Garlic Sauce from the Everyday Vegan. I didn't have any wine so I substituted more veggie broth. I also didn't have any fresh herbs instead I used some simply organic all purpose seasoning. Good stuff, the little ones thought it was a bit too "spicy" from the three whole bulbs of roasted garlic the recipe called for. It really was creamy though despite the fact that it had no cream in it! Another winner from The Venturesome Vegetarian Cooking (truly there have been no duds- if you don't have it I highly recommend it!) Belizean Beans and rice. I didn't have any white rice so I cut back about 1/4 cup of what the recipe called for and used brown rice instead. Man this would be a very good candidate to bring along to a pot luck. It basically consists of pinto beans, green pepper, onion, coconut milk, rice and some seasonings.
So, a while ago I tried the fish sticks from the Vegan Lunch box cookbook and thought I should try marinating the tofu w/ the recipe in the Cooking Southern style cookbook. So I did just that using the marinated from one book and the coating from the other. WOW!! I made the kids and I a "fish" sandwich on a whole wheat english muffin, melted a slice of cheddar tofutti. Good stuff, very good stuff. The kids gave the "fish" two thumbs up.
Okay there is a bit of what the kids and I ate while Honey was gone... stay tuned for more grown up food to come now that Honey is home YEAH!

16 Comments:

At 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found your blog last week and I love it. Do you have any seitan hints I have horrible luck with it. I love hearing about your life in Alaska I have wanted to move there for years. At least once a year my husband and I decide we are going to do it and then we chicken out. Blessings

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Sheree' said...

I am so glad you posted. I was getting kinda worried. Great post. The food looks fantastic. I need to try the creamy garlic sauce. Oh, by the way thanks to you I got the Southern Vegetarian Cookbook. We made the "chicken" gravy last night and it was a great hit. Thanks for the tip!

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

I'm lovin' the look of those "fish sticks"! And the thing about the fridge...don't you love how kids happen when you're making plans!
I'm also jealous that you can serve mushrooms as a side dish in your house...my kids are pretty open minded but have put their foot down at mushrooms....rats!

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger MeloMeals said...

Everything looks so good.. that roasted garlic sauce sounds delicious...

the "fish" sandwich sounds and looks delicious..

Glad your hubby is home.. it has to be hard without him...

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger bazu said...

I'm glad your husband's back! I totally understand sometimes you are just not inspired to cook (like the last few days for me!) that chicken fried seitan looks good. And the garlic pasta (and the salad in that photo)- mmm!

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

The creamy pasta looks amazing. Good to see you posting!

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger KleoPatra said...

Laughing at your post... "casualties"... oh, i'm sorry about yer little cuties deciding to turn up the volume in the fridge there...

i'm SO into the "chicken" of the faux kind, just to let you know how much i am drooling over what you made! Roasted garlic is one of my secret loves... Maybe not so secret anymore. And the same can be said (and will be written) for my feeling on mushrooms. Any mushrooms. All mushrooms. Anytime and all the time. Oh yeah. i'm loving this post in so many, many ways!!

Also i'm a believer of keeping things clean while working... "Whistle While You Work" and "Washing As You Go" are two mantras to which i can relate. At least the second one is.

Great to "see" you, MIA. Please don't be too much MIA (the other kind), OK!?

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Kati said...

Oh my goodness! Everything looks truly delicious. I'm especially drooling over the chicken fried seitan and garlic pasta. I'll have to try that sauce since I actually own the cookbook!

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger urban vegan said...

That kid food lokos pretty good to this kid.

I wanted to order Vegan Lunch Box--is it worth the $$?

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Jody from VegChic said...

Holy Smokes, that is a lot of good looking food. The chicken fried seitan sounds and the garlicky sauce are both things I need to try.

Thanks for letting me know about a new cookbook I haven't seen before, I added it to my Amazon wish list.

Lol, about the kids and the fridge. At least you didn't lose much.

Hope the hubby is traveling less, soon.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger aTxVegn said...

I always love to see your kid food posts. You can't go wrong with quick, easy, and tasty meals.

Thanks for letting us know about the Venturesome cookbook. It looks like it's all vegan and I need more cookbooks!

 
At 5:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well that looks very good! thanks for the tip!

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Brooke said...

I want some of that garlic sauce!!!

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

i enjoy the kid food as much as the adult posts! this time, the potato is calling my name with the funny sourcream & all! kids really keep ya on your toes, don't they?! :o)

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Carrie™ said...

I've made those fish sticks before and quite liked them. I'm curious what you used for a marinade because I'm dying to make them again. Another query...how do you make your chicken fried seitan? Sounds delicious! The photos are very drool worthy!

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Candi said...

All the dishes look great! I really want that cookbook that you listed! I've never heard of it. Thank you so much for the link!! When I saw the rice and beans dish with coconut milk... I knew I had to have the entire cookbook!! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home