Monday, March 05, 2007

International kid friendly cuisine (vegan)

Black bean and salsa soup. So easy. I had some black beans in the freezer- Daddy had bought some very yummy salsa from Costco.. So Ta da! I did add some corn to the soup. On the side we have our favorite country corn muffins from The Garden of Vegan. If your looking for a quick dinner idea this is it! It is not fancy but very satisfying!
This was my first recipe from the Flavors of Korea- Delicious Vegetarian Cuisine cook book. I made the Sweet potato stir fry which was great! It is basically 2 large sweet potatoes, onion, green pepper and a dash of soy sauce.. The sesame noodles however had a big ol' typo in the cookbook that render them inedible! They look good though don't they?.. The recipe called for 1/2 cup of soy sauce as the base to the sauce to 1/4 lb noodles (it was only the kids and I so it seemed like the perfect amount).. After looking through the book though I think the recipe really should have been at least one pound of noodles.. but, even that seems like an obnoxious amount of soy sauce. I did added some chopped "chicken" seitan but, it was all for not. I even tried to save the noodles by rinsing them w/ some water. Nope, even that didn't help.

So, I didn't give up though! Honey had gone to a Asian market on one of his trips and brought back some Korean vermicelli (made from sweet potato starch), some Denjang paste(Korean miso) and Gochujang (fermented hot pepper paste). So, here we have my second attempt from the Korean cook book. I made the Tofu Noodles (tubu kuksu) minus the tofu. I just don't think my kids are up for plain fried tofu YET. Instead I made thee three-way sesame coated tofu strips w/ spicy broccoli from the Vegan Planet. And the orange looking pile is the Cucumber salad (ol sangchae) from the Korean cookbook. In the cucumber salad I got try the Gochujang, which is so good! It is spicy but, not a eye watering kind of spicy -just chalk full of WONDERFUL flavor! I love spicy food and this could very well become a new addiction for me! Our adventurous 4 year old Emma tried it and liked it - Eli no way! They ate the rest of the dinner, though the next day Eli informed me he didn't like the "cooked bits on the crunchy tofu" I think he might have gotten some burnt sesame seeds on his tofu.

(I can't believe but I found all three of those recipes online they are all linked)
For lunch the next day I made a Korean miso noodle soup. The Korean miso is so different then the Japanese kind. The Korean is not salty and there is a hint of mustard seed that really sets it apart. It was nice but, I ended up spicing it up w/ the red pepper paste YUM!
A long time ago Honey had brought back some black lentils from Trader Joes and they have just been sitting in the pantry for the longest time. I scoured the Internet looking for recipes and found this one Kaali Daal. On the other side of the rice is Vegetarian Korma. I substituted the heavy cream w/ plain soy creamer for both dishes but, in the end I wish I had used coconut milk I think it would have made it creamy-er. I only had two green chili's so I used 1 1/2 in the bean dish and 1/2 one in the vegetables. Funny the bean dish didn't have any heat and the vegetables were spicy- a little too spicy for Eli but, he still ate it.

Saturday morning I was watching a cooking show and on it they were making a lasagna. It looked so good and I was inspired- So, I had some left over home made spaghetti sauce from last week and tried my hand at making Susan's (fatfreevegan) My Favorite Lasagna. To her filling I added 2 tbs tofutti cream cheese and 2 tbs lemon juice. I topped it w/ some Parmezano sprinkles from the uncheese cookbook. In this lasagna I tried the no boil rice lasagna noodles and I must say they are wonderful! I have tried the whole wheat ones in the past and they just seem to be so heavy.

Yes, my lasagna is lacking the olives that Susan's recipe calls for. I had been cutting some up when a friend of mine called. When I got off the phone and went back to cutting them I discovered that the little ones had came in and ate ALL of the olives and I was left w/ just a small hand full to put on the lasagna. What little kid (or big one for that matter) could resist ten whole olives on ten little fingers?

Well, there you have it. Quite a bit different they the last few weeks. I am happy to report the kids did enjoy all of these dinners and it was a pleasant change from the strictly kids foods we have been eating.

Labels: , , , , ,

16 Comments:

At 3:55 PM, Blogger scottishvegan said...

All that food looks excellent. That’s a shame a typo ruined your noodles. Your miso soup looks especially yummy. I didn’t know that you could get Korean miso…I absolutely love miso soup so I would like to try that.

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger Sheree' said...

Wow, what a post! Lots of good food. Your noodles look so good. Bummer they turned out inedible. I hate that when that happens. You are not alone. :o) I have to try Susan's lasagana too. Everytime I see a post for it it makes me drool.

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger um yeah said...

Did you marinate the three-way sesame tofu? I tried it and I found it rather bland.

 
At 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - everything looks so good. Can't wait to try the bean soup. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger bazu said...

I lived with a Korean roommate for quite a while, and now I wish I'd learned more about cuisine! We never asked one another about each other's food, though. Oh well! All your food looks amazing. I want to get my hands on some Korean miso, and that story about the disappearing olives made me giggle!

 
At 1:19 AM, Blogger Tracy said...

That yummy looking lasagna has inspired me..I just realized it
s been far too long since we had one here, so I think it'll have to be on the menu next week!

 
At 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

make me want to go out and make some more food! yummy! I really like your kid perspective, too - and issue that I deal with. What is good to adults and what is good to toddlers (I've found) somewhat differs :0)

 
At 3:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yum! this looks good! i must try the lasagna

 
At 6:27 AM, Blogger Nikk said...

Wow! I am so glad you posted that recipe for the black lentils. I have some from TJs that I'm not sure what to do with.

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger laura k said...

That's some awesome cooking. I need a quick stand-by black bean soup recipe... this looks great. And the black lentil dish looks so interesting.

I have a question for you. My husband is mentoring an exchange student from Korea, and the student was saying how he misses Korean food. Bob said that next week sometime he could come over and they could cook Korean food together... The only problem is, the student doesn't know how to cook anything that isn't full of fish sauce or other no-no ingredients, and Bob and I don't know the first thing about Korean cuisine! We have not had much success searching for vegetarian Korean recipes online either... So, would you consider sending me a recipe from your Korean cookbook that we could try? You can e-mail me at laurajesser@gmail.com if you want to talk a little more about it.

As always, everything you make looks delicious! And kid-friendly, which is quite impressive (and says a lot about your kids)!

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger KleoPatra said...

I don't know where to start, but suffice it to say i like absolutely everything you show here. I'm a kid at heart, y'know? Making that lasagna looks worth the time it must take for sure!

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger aTxVegn said...

Wow, Julee, what an awesome array of great food! I love "eating around the world." I wish you could come go to my asian supermarket with me. We would shop for 3 hours at least!

I remember putting olives on my fingers....

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger bazu said...

Julee, I just came back to thank you for the perspective on snow! I thought it was bad here, but the mental picture of 6-foot piles of snow... brrrr! I think we'll all be glad when this winter is over! =)

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger Linda said...

ive never had korean miso -- i will search it out now. quite a post!

 
At 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say your "improved cheese sauce" is great! The soy milk really makes it super creamy. I've made Baked Mac n Cheez twice already. The second time I added 1 TB of soy sauce which adds just the right amount of saltiness for me. Thanks for sharing!

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger love-up-you said...

Diamantentrauringe sind immer sehr beliebt bei thomas szabo den Paaren. Und der Grund seiner Popularität ist seine Eleganz und natürlicher Schönheit. Aber thomas sabo uhr vor Kauf Ihres Diamantring Sie müssen bedenken, die 4C von Diamant, Schnitt, Farbe, Karat thomas sabo ohrringe seestern und Klarheit. Es ist sehr wichtig, das Wissen dieser 4C haben. Aber der wichtigste Faktor unter ihnen ist der Schnitt eines thomas sabo anhänger Diamanten. Cut von Diamant bezieht sich nur auf die Qualität der Diamanten und auch seine Form.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home